​below.​ On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM, wrote: > It might be possible to get the vanilla-from-AT&T System V Releases 1-3 > freely licensed, though Novell is presumably still making money from AIX, > which descends from SVR3. > Hmm ..I thought all of the majors >>except<< for DEC​ bought out their licenses at some point. I admit I've forgotten the specifics, but that is my recollection. > SVR4 has proprietary Microsoft (Xenix) and > SunOS (Oracle) code in it, plus being the ancestor of still-current HP/UX. > ​HP/UX is an SVR3 & OSF/1 ancester. Solaris is SVR4. In fact it was the SVR4 license and deal between Sun and AT&T)​ that forced the whole OSF creation. One of the "principles" of the OSF was "Fair and Stable" license terms. Which begs a question - since Solaris was SVR4 based and was made freely available via OpenSolaris et al, does that not make SVR4 open? I'm not a lawyer (nor play one on TV), but it does seem like that sets some sort of precedent. > Scrubbing proprietary third-party code to make an open-source release > of any of these ancient versions, as had to be done for Solaris (and Java), > ​Interesting - how did they "scrub" SVR4 from it? The whole idea was to take SVR4 and "enhance it" using the SVR4 API's. ​ > is almost certainly too much work for anyone to want to undertake today. > ​Agreed, unless there is a clear statement from the owners, it's going to be hard; which is a shame from a historical stand point, but I agree. C ​lem​ -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: