s/Beety/Beatty/ -- sorry ᐧ On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 2:12 PM Clem Cole wrote: > > > On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 1:46 PM Al Kossow wrote: > >> Thoth has been a white whale for me for decades. > > Ditto. Although, I believe the late John Beety had his 'Thoth Thucks" tee > shirt for years. I believe Kelly Booth still does. > > > >> AFAIK nothing has survived from it. >> > You can argue that V-Kernel and QNX are children of Thoth - but they were > both in a flavor of Waterloo C that did not think ever targeted the PDP-11 > [that might be a misunderstanding WRT Waterloo C]. > >> >> "Decus" (Conroy's) C (transliteration of the assembler Unix C) should >> also be mentioned. >> > Hmmmm, it's a flavor of Dennis' compiler in disguise and was sort of an > end-around for the AT&T lawyers by taking the *.s files, and converting > them to MACRO11, and then > redoing the assembler code to use originally RT11 I/O and later RSX11. > That said, it had its own life and ran on the DEC OSses, not UNIX, so it > probably counts. > That said, I thought Paul was asking about different core compiler > implementations, and I would argue the DECUS/Conroy compiler is the DMR > compiler, while the list I offered was all different core implementations. > > I'm curious about Jon and Tom's MOD2 compiler. Other than Wirth's, which > targeted the 68000, Lilith, and VAX, I did not know of another for the > PDP-11. Any idea of its origin story? I would have expected it to have > derived from Wirth's Modula subsystem. FWIW: The DEC Mod-II and Mod-III > were new implementations from DEC WRL or SRC (I forget). They targeted > Alpha and I, maybe Vax. I'd have to ask someone like Larry Stewart or Jeff > Mogul who might know/remember, but I thought that the font end to the DEC > MOD2 compiler might have been partly based on Wirths but rewritten and by > the time of the MOD3 FE was a new one originally written using the previous > MOD2 compiler -- but I don't remember that detail. >