Not, trying to discourage anyone from messing with simh and one of the old UNIX systems - looking at the past. But to be honest at this stage of the game there is nothing in EFL that I know of that modern Fortran can not do. And if you want to see how the world has progressed since F4, and you have a Mac, Linux or Windows box -- the entire Intel compiler suite, including their Fortran 2018 compatible system can be downloaded for free -- Intel OneAPI HPC Toolkit Download This is the compiler many (most) supercomputer codes use - why is a good COFF discussion ;-) For the youngsters that never saw it, is a piece of F4 code [the Intel compiler can still gork it BTW], which we call the 'Eklund Test' as Dave Eklund was Mr. Fixed format for both DEC and Intel starting in the early 1970s until he retired 5 years ago [note Dave did not write this - came from Europe but is now part of the Intel compiler test suite]. C This FORTRAN program may be compiled and run on a Norsk Data C computer running SINTRAN and the FTN compiler. It uses only C FORTRAN reserved words, and contains just one numerical C constant, in a character string (a format specifier). When C you run it, it prints a well known mathematical construct... C C Even FORTRAN is a block structured programming language: C PROGRAM ;PROGRAM;INTEGERIF,INTEGER,GOTO,IMPLICIT;REALREAL,DIMENSION,EXTERNA AL,FORMAT,END;INTEGERLOGICAL;REALCOMPLEX,DATA,CALL,ASSIGN,CHARACTER R;DOFORIF=INTEGER,INTEGER;ENDDO;INTEGER=IF+IF;GOTO=INTEGER*INTEGER* *INTEGER*INTEGER-INTEGER-IF;CALLFUNCTION(IMPLICIT,REAL,DIMENSION,EX XTERNAL,FORMAT,END,LOGICAL,COMPLEX,DATA,CALL,ASSIGN,CHARACTER);CALL LSUBROUTINE(IMPLICIT,LOGICAL,GOTO,IF,INTEGER);END;SUBROUTINEFUNCTIO ON(IMPLICIT,REAL,DIMENSION,EXTERNAL,FORMAT,END,LOGICAL,COMPLEX,DATA A,CALL,ASSIGN,CHARACTER);RETURN;END;SUBROUTINESUBROUTINE(IMPLICIT,L LOGICAL,GOTO,IF,INTEGER);INTEGERGOTO,IMPLICIT(GOTO),LOGICAL(GOTO),I IF,INTEGER,EXTERNAL,RETURN;DOFOREXTERNAL=IF,GOTO;DOFORRETURN=INTEGE ER,EXTERNAL-IF;IMPLICIT(RETURN)=LOGICAL(RETURN)+LOGICAL(RETURN-IF); ;ENDDO;IMPLICIT(IF)=IF;IMPLICIT(EXTERNAL)=IF;DOFORRETURN=IF,GOTO-EX XTERNAL;WRITE(IF,'(''$ '')');ENDDO;DOFORRETURN=IF,EXTERNAL;WRITE(I IF,'(''$''I4)')IMPLICIT(RETURN);ENDDO;WRITE(IF,'( /)');DOFORRETURN= =IF,GOTO;LOGICAL(RETURN)=IMPLICIT(RETURN);ENDDO;ENDDO;END On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 12:57 PM Tom Manos wrote: > I'm late to the party here. Although I'm a gray hair, I didn't start using > UNIX until the early '80s, and though I've seen, and been curious about > efl, I've never used it. Fortran 4 was my first high-level language in > college in the '70s. > > That said, I do remember efl being on an early PC based UNIX - Microport > SVR2. On later Microport UNIXen it was gone, but I can't remember whether > it disappeared on SVR3 or 4. > > I currently play with 4.3BSD Quasijarus system on simh, which has efl. > What a fun system to play with! Maybe I'll give efl a try if I can find > enough docs to grok it. > > Tom > ---- > Tom Manos > KO4ENQ > > > On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 3:49 AM wrote: > >> Hi TUHS folks! >> >> After having reincarnated ratfor, I am wondering about Stuart Feldman's >> efl (extended fortran language). It was a real compiler that let you >> define structs, and generated more or less readable Fortran code. >> >> I have the impression that it was pretty cool, but that it just didn't >> catch on. So: >> >> - Did anyone here ever use it personally? >> >> - Is my impression that it didn't catch on correct? Or am I ignorant? >> >> Thoughts etc. welcome. :-) >> >> Thanks, >> >> Arnold >> >