The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] UNIX 50th at USENIX ATC
@ 2019-06-09 22:32 Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-06-09 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society
  Cc: cc: Robert Schmuck, Stephen Jones, Aaron Alcorn, USENIX Board

Sorry for the long delay on this notice, but until this weekend there were
still a few things to iron out before I made a broad announcement.

First, I want to thank the wonderful folks at the Living Computers Museum
and Labs <https://livingcomputers.org/> who are set up to host an event at
their museum for our members on the evening of July 10, which is during the
week of USENIX ATC.   To quote an email from their Curator, Aaron Alcorn: "*an
easy-going members events with USENIX attendees as their special invited
guests.*"    As Aaron suggested, this event will just be computer people
and computers, which seems fitting and a good match ;-)

Our desire is to have as many of the old and new 'UNIX folks' at this event
as possible and we can share stories of how our community got to where we
are.  Please spread the word, since we want to get as many people coming
and sharing as we can.  BTW:  The Museum is hoping to have their
refurbished PDP-7 running by that date.   A couple of us on this list will
be bringing a kit of SW in the hopes that we can boot Unix V0!!

Second, USENIX BOD will provide us a room at ATC all week long to set up
equipment and show off some things our community has done in the past.  I
have been in contact with some of you offline and will continue to do so.
There should be some smaller historical systems that people will bring
(plus connections to the LCM's systems via the Internet, of course) and
there will be some RPi's running different emulators.

I do hope that both the event and the computer room should be fun for all.

Thanks,

Clem Cole

* Re: [TUHS] UNIX 50th at USENIX ATC
@ 2019-06-11 17:25 ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2019-06-11 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole
  Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, cc: Robert Schmuck,
	Stephen Jones, Aaron Alcorn, USENIX Board

The conference looks supremely uninteresting outside one WAFL talk to me.
Is there a way to participate without attending Usenix ATC?

@ 2019-06-13 17:57 ` Ken Thompson via TUHS
From: Ken Thompson via TUHS @ 2019-06-13 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson
  Cc: bod, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, Stephen Jones, AaronA, RobertSc