On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 9:12 PM wrote: > I think Larry is right, but also wrong. I think I can speak from > experience. > +1 > > The goal of research is not to produce consumer-ready code, but to > explore ideas. Nasty things sometimes happen in that environment. > > But that doesn't mean that code doesn't have to work. And BTW, Mach is an example of something that did work. And it worked "good enough" -- I think Ted's comments follow exactly these ideas. > My introduction to coding on a research project was INGRES, at the time > the competitor to System R (now DB/2, better known as "anything SQL") > from IBM Research. By the very nature of the problem, the main complaint > was that "Relational Databases Cannot Work" --- so proving that they could was > a major part of the research agenda. > > At one point (pre-commercial) INGRES stored the telecom wiring diagram of > New York City. It wasn't always a pleasant experience, but we learned a > lot, mostly happy, most of the time. A lot of our motivationwas because > real people were using our code to do real work. Had we hung them out in > the wind to dry, we wouldn't have gotten that feedback, and frankly I > think RDBMS wouldn't have progressed so far and so fast. > > But when I left INGRES I talked with Mike Stonebraker, who asked me > where I thought the project should be going. At that point I thought it > was clear that the research objectives had been satisfied, and there was the > beginnings of a commercial company to move it forward, so I advised that > the old code base (which at that point I had written or > substantially modified well over 50%) should be abandoned. Do a new system > from scratch, in any language, (and I quote) "even in LISP if that's the > right decision." Unfortunately the first version of Postgres > was written in LISP --- my breed of humor was apparently unappreciated at > that time. But from a research perspective the goal was no longer to produce > something that actually worked in the real world, but to explore new > ideas, including bad ones. I wasn't involved with Postgres personally, > but I think Larry's analysis was essentially correct as I know it. > > I was extraordinarily lucky to have ended up at Berkeley in the mid-70s when > UNIX was just becoming a "thing", and I can assure you that while there > were a lot of people who just wanted to get their degrees, there was also > a large cadre wanting to produce good stuff that could make peoples' > lives better. > Well said thanks, Clem