The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] /usr/bin/1
@ 2020-11-03 15:40 Ron Natalie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ron Natalie @ 2020-11-03 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

This memory just came back to me.     There was a UNIX disribution
(PWB/UNIX?) that had a program called 1.
It printed tis quaint bit of propaganda.

One Bell System.  It works.

This was fine until one day I’m at work in a big bull pen computer room
when Bernie, one of my co-workers, shouts.
“What’s all this Bell System crud in the editor?”

My reaction is, “Well, it’s all Bell System crud.”    I walk over to his
terminal and find he is typing 1 repeatedly at the shell prompt and
getting the above message.  (This was back in the old /bin/ed days where
1 got you to the top of the file).     I had to point out he wasn’t in
the editor.

Later that day, the program was changed to say:

You’re not in the editor, Bernie.

This I think made it into one of the BRL releases and occassionally got
inquiries as to who Bernie is.