On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 3:39 PM Theodore Ts'o wrote: > apparently representatives from System V derivatives > seemed to have a dominant role on the POSIX committee. > I can personally attest (having been in the room during many of that those discussions) this is a true statement. The early versions (certainly thru .1 - the original system called Interface), AT&T team, and a number of vendors particularly the European ones - tried hard to push the SVID to be POSIX, although many of us had used a lot of BSD in our systems fought back. Can not say it was a fun time. The problem was everyone in the room wanted to be the big dog and to have all the food -- no one could really admit that we were all in it together and the real competition was elsewhere. FWIW: Keith Bostic occasionally came to some of those meetings from CSRG to some of those meetings and was amazingly gracious/patient. It's why 4.4 had a number of things in that made it closer to POSIX. ᐧ