On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 3:59 PM Dan Cross wrote: > Did `icheck` and friends have something analogous to the `lost+found` > directory created by `fsck`? > The lost+found directory was a tjk-ism although I can get a very small level of credit/inspiration. It was born of need. Ted was explaining to me one night that one of the issues when you had identified a file that no directory was claiming was what to do with it. Originally, Ted linked lost files into root because there was usually only a couple of files, but ... we startiong seeing a situation where often the root directory did not have free directory slots. Some of the folks (I want to say it was either bio-med or architecture dept) had a recurring crash that occurred after a bunch of intermediate files had been created on a long running program. If the program stopped we had a way of restarting it part way using them. The problem was that people did not clean up the /tmp directory so the program unlinked them after creating them. But if it crashed, the files were still there but just connected to anything. Ted could find them with f*ck [it had a different name then]. I remember that we talked more about the issue and he came up with the idea of creating the directory lost+found and then preallocating a bunch of slots with a shell script instead of hoping the root directory was going to being available.