The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
To: Lars Brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org>
Cc: "Erik E. Fair" <fair@netbsd.org>, TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Question about finding curses to build on v7
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 13:26:44 -0400	[thread overview]

Interesting and that sounds quite plausible.   CCA sold it at one point.
Masscomp (because Steve was working for us) got a license and a
redistribution license.   IIRC: we could redistribute the binary for free
as long as CCA got Steve's changes back.

Steve definitely did the terminfo/lib work for CCA Emacs at Masscomp, as I
had pointed out that AT&T was moving to terminfo but was locking it up
inside of the System V (AT&T 'consider it standard' stuff - much to a
number of their own people telling them not too).   Pavel ?? Curtis I think
?? - I've forgotten his last name -  had written a new uncontaminated
version at Cornell that was a functional replacement and that could read
the AT&T ASCII database and compile them properly.   (I don't remember if
Pavel's version could take the AT&T binary versions).  I had obtained
Pavel's version and we were shipping that as our terminfo/lib
implementation on the Masscomp boxes and were switching our code to use it,
as we had not yet signed a System V license and were shipping on a System
III based one.    Steve started to include Pavel's library in the CCA
version, which he got from me.
ᐧ