Interesting and that sounds quite plausible. CCA sold it at one point. Masscomp (because Steve was working for us) got a license and a redistribution license. IIRC: we could redistribute the binary for free as long as CCA got Steve's changes back. Steve definitely did the terminfo/lib work for CCA Emacs at Masscomp, as I had pointed out that AT&T was moving to terminfo but was locking it up inside of the System V (AT&T 'consider it standard' stuff - much to a number of their own people telling them not too). Pavel ?? Curtis I think ?? - I've forgotten his last name - had written a new uncontaminated version at Cornell that was a functional replacement and that could read the AT&T ASCII database and compile them properly. (I don't remember if Pavel's version could take the AT&T binary versions). I had obtained Pavel's version and we were shipping that as our terminfo/lib implementation on the Masscomp boxes and were switching our code to use it, as we had not yet signed a System V license and were shipping on a System III based one. Steve started to include Pavel's library in the CCA version, which he got from me. ᐧ On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:12 PM Lars Brinkhoff wrote: > Clem Cole wrote: > > 1.) Zimmerman EMACS (a.k.a. CCA EMACS) ran on the PDP-11 originally > > when Steve wrote it at MIT. > > I have this on the origin of Montgomery and Zimmerman Emacs: > > "[Montgomery's] emacs implementation was begun in 1979, after having > left MIT. I made it freely available to people INSIDE of Bell Labs, > and it was widely used. It was never officially "released" from Bell > Labs." > > "Unfortunately, several copies did get out during that time, mainly > due to people who left Bell Labs to return to school or gave copies to > friends. When Zimmerman modified one of those copies as the original > basis for CCA emacs, AT&T and CCA had a prolonged debate over it. > Eventually the matter was resolved when Zimmerman replaced the last of > my code" > > > https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/blob/sources/Usenet/net.emacs/btl-emacs-2.txt >