The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] TTY8
@ 2017-11-25 15:43 Ron Natalie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ron Natalie @ 2017-11-25 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, we were discussing terminals this morning with some other old guys.   If
I knew the answer to this I've forgotten.

Every PDP-11 UNIX I ever used had the console KL-11 as /dev/tty8.   The
question is why.    My guess is that for some reason

an 8 terminal multiplexor (DZ-11?) was stuck at tty0, but why?

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] TTY8
@ 2017-11-25 16:48 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-11-25 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: "Ron Natalie"

    > Every PDP-11 UNIX I ever used had the console KL-11 as /dev/tty8.
    > The question is why.

Blast! I have this memory of reading an explanation for that somewhere - but
I cannot remember what it was, or where! I've done a grep through my hoard of
Unix documents, looking for "tty8", but no hits.

	Noel