That was the impression I got from the various Unix and UNIX(TM) documents that Groklaw discussed during The SCO Group's Foot-In-Mouth case against Linux, IBM and The Rest Of The World. Wesley Parish On 5/11/18, Clem Cole wrote: > below... > > On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote: > >> LINUX Is Not UniX. > > > A few thoughts ... > 1.) Be careful - the US courts have said that *UNIX is not a code base or > any one implementation - it's a set of ideas​.* That is the whole basis of > the BSDi case and why in the end AT&T lost. It WAS their ideas, but it > just can not be a trade secret. If AT&T had been able to claim it as a > trade secret, Linux, Minix, Coherent *et al *would have been in violation > too (which is why it was so silly to sue them). > 2.) I believe that Linux is the current popular implementation of UNIX. > Yes it hurts my fingers by some of the changes, but it looks, smells and > quacks like duck. Linux uses the AT&T IP -- the published ideas. All of > us on this list, just like Linus, are 'mentally contaminated' by Ken and > Dennis's core idea. That's the basic fact and it not going away. > 3.) Claiming LINUX Is Not UniX is like saying FORTRAN95 is not FORTRAN > because its not like F2, F4, F77 etc... I'd like to point out that in > fact, modern FTN compilers can pretty much accept the old code - which > pretty darned amazing (and thankfully I'm not a compiler writer). But > for guys like me in the HPC business, FORTRAN is still useful, as it pays > our salary. The thing we have to remember is that the target matured, and > moved on. It aint quite like it was and there is no going back. > > I think that's the point and Ted and Larry have suggested so many times. > Linux took the token from AT&T, BSD, Solaris, *etc*... and moved it. Some > of us, myself included, find many of the changes gratuitous and a PITA, but > that is the price of progress. I remember that a lot of people at AT&T > thought the BSD changes were gratuitous too. So Linux is the 3rd path of > the UNIX heritage. > > Clem > ᐧ > ᐧ >