The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Also, a video service
@ 2020-02-09  0:48 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-02-09  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: coff

All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
Password to join is "unix" at the moment.
I just want to test it to confirm that it works; I'll be heading
out the door to go to the shops soon.

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Also, a video service
@ 2020-02-09  2:02 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-02-09  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: coff

On Sun, Feb 09, 2020 at 10:48:54AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
> https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
> I just want to test it to confirm that it works.

It works, thanks to the four or five who popped in to test it.

I'm thinking of a weekly rotation through these timezones:

         UTC	   Brisbane	New Jersey
Week 1:  8am	     6pm           3am
Week 2:  1pm	    11pm	   8am
Week 3: 10pm	     8am	   5pm

We'd need a volunteer from each timezone to start up the channel
and to (try to) keep some order. Any takers?

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF] Also, a video service
@ 2020-02-09 22:56 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2020-02-09 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs, coff

On Sunday,  9 February 2020 at 10:48:54 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
> https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
> Password to join is "unix" at the moment.
> I just want to test it to confirm that it works; I'll be heading
> out the door to go to the shops soon.

Just tried it out.  On FreeBSD I get a blank grey screen.  I could
only get something more on a Microsoft box, not quite what I'd want to
do.  Is there some trick?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF] Also, a video service
@ 2020-02-09 23:21   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2020-02-09 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey; +Cc: tuhs, coff

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 09:56:38 +1100 Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
> On Sunday,  9 February 2020 at 10:48:54 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> > All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
> > https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
> > Password to join is "unix" at the moment.
> > I just want to test it to confirm that it works; I'll be heading
> > out the door to go to the shops soon.
>
> Just tried it out.  On FreeBSD I get a blank grey screen.  I could
> only get something more on a Microsoft box, not quite what I'd want to
> do.  Is there some trick?

I was able to connect from a MacBookPro.  This seems to be
Jitsi. There is a jitsi package for FreeBSD-11. Unfortunately
/usr/ports/net-im/jitsi is broken (unfetchable). No idea if
any of the linux downloads from jitsi.org would work.

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF] Also, a video service
@ 2020-02-10  3:35     ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2020-02-10  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bakul Shah; +Cc: tuhs, coff

Thanks, Bakul. I'm just now installing jitsi on one of my Linux boxen.

Speaking of FreeBSD and MacOS, I'm sure the source code at
https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi/src/ will compile on FreeBSD with a
simple ./configure and make.

Wesley Parish

@ 2020-02-10  6:09   ` jason-tuhs
From: jason-tuhs @ 2020-02-10  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey; +Cc: tuhs, coff

>> All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
>> https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
>> Password to join is "unix" at the moment.

> Just tried it out.  On FreeBSD I get a blank grey screen.  I could
> only get something more on a Microsoft box, not quite what I'd want to
> do.  Is there some trick?

* Install /usr/ports/net-im/jitsi.  (Comment out the BROKEN line from the
Makefile and "make install" should work as usual; the source can actually
be fetched just fine...)

* kldload cuse

* Run firefox and surf to that URL.

After doing this, I surfed to that URL and was connected, with the video
from my webcam displaying in the browser.

     hashbrown/home/jason-124575: uname -a
     FreeBSD hashbrown 12.1-STABLE FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE r357056 JKERN12  amd64

For what it's worth, the webcam identifies itself as vendor:product
0x046d:0x0825, which, according to https://wiki.freebsd.org/WebcamCompat
is a Logitech C270 HD.  I think I paid about $20 USD for it, five or so
years ago.  The quality is quite sufficient for video conferencing, and it
works with webcamd, vlc, and all the other software that I typically run
on my FreeBSD desktop.  As always, YMMV...

  -Jason

* [TUHS] jitsi on FreeBSD (was: Also, a video service)
@ 2020-02-13 23:41       ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2020-02-13 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wesley Parish; +Cc: tuhs, coff

On Monday, 10 February 2020 at 16:35:44 +1300, Wesley Parish wrote:
> Thanks, Bakul. I'm just now installing jitsi on one of my Linux boxen.
>
> Speaking of FreeBSD and MacOS, I'm sure the source code at
> https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi/src/ will compile on FreeBSD with a
> simple ./configure and make.

Thanks for that.  I was wondering where the sources had gone.  I've
now updated the port net-im/jitsi, so you should be able to build
directly from there, or install the package once it has been built (a
few days, I think).

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* [TUHS] Video service on FreeBSD (was: Also, a video service)
@ 2020-02-13 23:43     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2020-02-13 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jason-tuhs; +Cc: tuhs, coff