The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Help needed with some old VAX Machines
@ 2023-02-22 16:48 Maciej Jan Broniarz
From: Maciej Jan Broniarz @ 2023-02-22 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hello Everyone,

Our local Hackroom acquired some VAX Station machines. The problem is, we
have absolutely no docs or knowledge how to run the machine or how to test
if it is working properly. Any help would be appreciated

All best,

--
Maciej Jan Broniarz

* [TUHS] Re: Help needed with some old VAX Machines
@ 2023-02-22 17:17 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-02-22 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Jan Broniarz; +Cc: tuhs

Bitsavers in your friends:  https://archive.org/details/dec-manuals

A small suggestion .. you might go to the Open SIMH
<https://streaklinks.com/BZ27wznPz3XXgX6LPQzswmxY/https%3A%2F%2Fopensimh.org>
website,
and you'll find several pointers to tutorials.  The VAXStation is one of
the systems that SIMH can emulate, so you might want to practice a bit on
virtual hardware, which will be less fragile and easier to start over if
you make an error.
ᐧ

@ 2023-02-22 17:28   ` Phil Budne
From: Phil Budne @ 2023-02-22 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mj; +Cc: tuhs

For documentation I'd also suggest bitsavers
(which archive.org sometimes copies and disorganizes):

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/vax/

For people who fiddle with actual hardware,
The ClassicCmp Mailing list and archive:

https://classiccmp.org/lists.html