Every university that allowed "general" student access used disk quotas. I remember 1MB file quota on the system I had access to. And of course we found all kinds of tricks to get around those quotas (e.g. "giving away" large files to someone with leftover quota), which is why on many systems you're not allowed to chown files if you're not root. On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 3:58 PM David wrote: > I think it was BSD 4.1 that added quotas to the disk system, and I was > just wondering if anyone ever used them, in academia or industry. As a user > and an admin I never used this and, while I thought it was interesting, > just figured that the users would sort it out amongst themselves. Which > they mostly did. > > So, anyone ever use this feature? > > David > >