As far as I know IEEE is not really a standard, it is a recommendation, while ANSI is a standard. ANSI is the American standard and ISO is International. -- Ori Idan CEO Helicon Books http://www.heliconbooks.com On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 8:56 PM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > Good morning, I was wondering if anyone has the scoop on the rationale > behind the selection of standards bodies for the publication of UNIX and > UNIX-adjacent standards. C was published via the ANSI route as X3.159, > whereas POSIX was instead published by the IEEE route as 1003.1. Was there > every any consideration of C through IEEE or POSIX through ANSI instead? > Is there an appreciable difference suggested by the difference in > publishers? In any case, both saw subsequent adoption by ISO/IEC, so the > track to an international standard seems to lead to the same organizations. > > - Matt G. >