The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-29  4:04 Warren Toomey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2019-10-29  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

All, the second Unix artifact that I've been waiting to announce has
arrived. This time the LCM+L is announcing it. It's not the booting PDP-7.

So, cast your eyes on https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/IBM/370/

Cheers, Warren

P.S Thanks to Stephen Jones for this as well.

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-29  5:07 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-10-29  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

This looks awesome. The readme says it's unsure if this is v6 or v7. Diff
of a few files suggests v6 with the 'u' area being a pointer instead of a
struct and a few of the elements names changed a bit... The dates are from
1976 or 1977, which also matches...

And we have this from wikipedia: "By 1976, the operating system was in use
at various academic institutions, including Princeton
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_University>, where Tom Lyon and
others ported it to the S/370, to run as a guest OS under VM/370
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_(operating_system)>."  which matches the
dates as well found on the tape.

This is seriously cool. There are a few corrupted files (like dsk.h).
Kernel sources are there, but there's no userland programs apart from the
assembler and C compiler. Looking at the kernel dskio.s routines suggests
it's making an upcall to something with the sio instructions which suggests
this is the VM/370 version.

The hits keep coming!

Warner

@ 2019-10-29  5:19 ` Adam Thornton
From: Adam Thornton @ 2019-10-29  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

> On Oct 28, 2019, at 9:04 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
>
> All, the second Unix artifact that I've been waiting to announce has
> arrived. This time the LCM+L is announcing it. It's not the booting PDP-7.
>
> So, cast your eyes on https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/IBM/370/
>
> Cheers, Warren
>
> P.S Thanks to Stephen Jones for this as well.

Well.

Time to dust of Hercules again.  Too bad the LCM+L has my P/390 and I had to give my Integrated Server back to IBM.

Adam

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-29  7:14   ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2019-10-29  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

El mar., 29 oct. 2019 6:20, Adam Thornton <athornton@gmail.com> escribió:

> > On Oct 28, 2019, at 9:04 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
> >
> > All, the second Unix artifact that I've been waiting to announce has
> > arrived. This time the LCM+L is announcing it. It's not the booting
> PDP-7.
> >
> > So, cast your eyes on
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/IBM/370/
>
> Time to dust of Hercules again.

Amazing, Warren. And for sure the Hercules reference. Just today I was
searching for Hercules VM/370 Packs (Four & Six). Succesfully, I must say.
I will appreciate to read about all the attempts to put it on working
state. Sadly, this used to be managed on Hercules groups under Yahoogroups,
but this platform is closing. I can provide some details in [COFF] list
later.

Cordiales saludos / Best Regards / Salutations / Freundliche Grüße
-----
Sergio Pedraja

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-29 15:10     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-10-29 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SPC; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 1:15 AM SPC <spedraja@gmail.com> wrote:

> El mar., 29 oct. 2019 6:20, Adam Thornton <athornton@gmail.com> escribió:
>

>> > On Oct 28, 2019, at 9:04 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > All, the second Unix artifact that I've been waiting to announce has
>> > arrived. This time the LCM+L is announcing it. It's not the booting
>> PDP-7.
>> >
>> > So, cast your eyes on
>> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/IBM/370/
>>
>> Time to dust of Hercules again.
>>

> Amazing, Warren. And for sure the Hercules reference. Just today I was
> searching for Hercules VM/370 Packs (Four & Six). Succesfully, I must say.
> I will appreciate to read about all the attempts to put it on working
> state. Sadly, this used to be managed on Hercules groups under Yahoogroups,
> but this platform is closing. I can provide some details in [COFF] list
> later.

I sure hope the internet archive pulls it all down before it goes away.
Geocities used to have a lot of obscure hardware info on it and that was
mostly lost when they went away :(

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-29 15:22       ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2019-10-29 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

El mar., 29 oct. 2019 a las 16:11, Warner Losh (<imp@bsdimp.com>) escribió:

Amazing, Warren. And for sure the Hercules reference. Just today I was
>> searching for Hercules VM/370 Packs (Four & Six). Succesfully, I must say.
>> I will appreciate to read about all the attempts to put it on working
>> state. Sadly, this used to be managed on Hercules groups under Yahoogroups,
>> but this platform is closing. I can provide some details in [COFF] list
>> later.
>>

> I sure hope the internet archive pulls it all down before it goes away.
> Geocities used to have a lot of obscure hardware info on it and that was
> mostly lost when they went away :(
>
> Warner

Just in case and for knowledge of anyone interested, I have made a backup
pf the messages and contents at date of all the Hercules-related groups
under Yahoogroups. It's saved in SQLite format plus the files accesibles
individually.

I've added too some new URLs with the VM packs and some other stuff as
Hercules v.4, Turnkey TK4 distro, and so.

In fact I am thinking to raise one webpage dedicated to this matter, in
english and spanish languages. I had the same idea for a TUHS mirror some
time ago but it's just now when I have some free time to think seriously
about it.

Kind Regards
Sergio

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-31  3:56 ` Tom Lyon
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: Tom Lyon @ 2019-10-31  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: tuhs

Hi, folks. Tom Lyon here - this UNIX 370 stuff was recovered by Stephen at
LCM+L from DECtapes that I've had sitting around for 40+ years.
You can read all about the Princeton/Amdahl project here:
https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/12/370unixpart1/

If anyone wants to get serious with the code, you'll need Hercules with a
VM/370 image as well as a PDP-11 emulator running V6. There's not a lot
beyond the kernel, I got the shell working enough to prove that fork
worked, and then ran out of steam because of the awful communication
problems between the PDP and the IBM.  [ But that was my start as a
networking guy ]. I personally haven't had time to do anything with the
recovered bits.

I've been lurking on TUHS for a while - a special Hi to Ken Thompson and
Steve Johnson. I owe a lot to each of them. Read about my summer at Bell
with the Interdata 8/32 here: https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/16/belllabspart1/

--
- Tom

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-31  4:16   ` Larry McVoy
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2019-10-31  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Lyon; +Cc: tuhs

Hijacking this a bit but much props to Tom, he has done so much.  I
learned he exposed the IOMMU to user space in Linux, you have to be
a geek to get how cool that is, it's life changing for VMs and Tom
just sort of said yeah, I did that, like it was not a big deal.

So I hosted Tom and a bunch of other systems guys at my place, we did
a rib fest and talked about systems.  It's the most fun I've had in
years, Kirk and Eric came and spent the night in my guest house and
Kirk dryly said "could we do this more often than every 20 years"
because I used to go to their house for wine tastings.  But it had
been at least 20 years.

Kevin Bowling was the energy that got that meeting going and he has
asked me if there was some way to get an East Coast version of that
going.  He really wants the DEC people, he has a theory that if we
could get the PDP-11 people and the VAX people there would be so many
good stories.

Would there be any interest in getting the DEC people together and
getting them to tell stories?  I hate to travel but I'd travel for
that, especially if we got bwk and other Bell Labs people like
Doug to show up.

Pugs, happy to see you here, this list is fun.

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-31  7:51   ` arnold
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: arnold @ 2019-10-31  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wkt, pugs; +Cc: tuhs

Hi Tom,

Kudos for making these things available. The links are great reading
as well.

I have the strong impression that this is different from the port
at Bell Labs described in the 1984 BSTJ article; can you confirm?

Warren, can you add the links into the README or whatever that's
in the archive?

Thanks,

Arnold

Tom Lyon <pugs@ieee.org> wrote:

> Hi, folks. Tom Lyon here - this UNIX 370 stuff was recovered by Stephen at
> LCM+L from DECtapes that I've had sitting around for 40+ years.
> You can read all about the Princeton/Amdahl project here:
> https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/12/370unixpart1/
>
> If anyone wants to get serious with the code, you'll need Hercules with a
> VM/370 image as well as a PDP-11 emulator running V6. There's not a lot
> beyond the kernel, I got the shell working enough to prove that fork
> worked, and then ran out of steam because of the awful communication
> problems between the PDP and the IBM.  [ But that was my start as a
> networking guy ]. I personally haven't had time to do anything with the
> recovered bits.
>
> I've been lurking on TUHS for a while - a special Hi to Ken Thompson and
> Steve Johnson. I owe a lot to each of them. Read about my summer at Bell
> with the Interdata 8/32 here: https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/16/belllabspart1/
>
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 9:04 PM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
>
> > All, the second Unix artifact that I've been waiting to announce has
> > arrived. This time the LCM+L is announcing it. It's not the booting PDP-7.
> >
> > So, cast your eyes on https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/IBM/370/
> >
> > Cheers, Warren
> >
> > P.S Thanks to Stephen Jones for this as well.
> >

> --
> - Tom

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-31  8:09   ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2019-10-31  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

El jue., 31 oct. 2019 a las 4:57, Tom Lyon (<pugs@ieee.org>) escribió:

> Hi, folks. Tom Lyon here - this UNIX 370 stuff was recovered by Stephen at
> LCM+L from DECtapes that I've had sitting around for 40+ years.
> You can read all about the Princeton/Amdahl project here:
> https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/12/370unixpart1/

Welcome.

> If anyone wants to get serious with the code, you'll need Hercules with a
> VM/370 image as well as a PDP-11 emulator running V6. There's not a lot
> beyond the kernel, I got the shell working enough to prove that fork
> worked, and then ran out of steam because of the awful communication
> problems between the PDP and the IBM.  [ But that was my start as a
> networking guy ]. I personally haven't had time to do anything with the
> recovered bits.

Both items are available. Hoping it could be helpful, I share below some
links to related IBM 370 and DEC PDP-11 stuff that I've recently found and
more or less organized:

*HERCULES*

The Hercules System/370, ESA/390, and z/Architecture Emulator -
http://www.hercules-390.eu/

SoftDevLabs (SDL) version of Hercules 4.x, code named Hyperion -
http://www.softdevlabs.com/hyperion.html

*A branch of the original development of Hercules numbered itself as v.4
with more or less regular compilations *
*VM/370*

Robert O'Hara Six Pack Distribution v1.2 of VM/370 -
http://www.smrcc.org.uk/members/g4ugm/VM370.htm

*Very interesting because he includes in the same webpage downloads of the
previous VM/370 packs (Paul Gorinskey's, Andy Norrie's, Bob Abele's)*

*There is a BETA version v1.3 available too.*

Implementing VSAM under VM/370 SixPack v1.2 -
http://www.kicksfortso.com/same/KooKbooK/KooKbooK-14.htm

A compilation of Operating Systems for IBM S/370 available for download on
the Internet - https://geronimo370.nl/s370/s-370-operating-systems/<<

*It includes one direct link to the page of Robert O'Hara SixPack BETA
version v1.3 *

A relatively wide explanation of the features available in SixPack v1.2 -
https://hub.docker.com/r/rbanffy/vm370

*It includes something inusual: one link to Github where you can find one
DOCKER implementation of theSixPack v1.2 *

A surprising (and interesting) bunch of videoclips about VM/370 -
<http://www.hercules-390.eu/>https://bestofclip.net/search?s=VM/370
*PDP-11*

SIMH (Conputer History Sinulator Project). The original distribution, V3.10-0,
updated 24-Feb-2019  - http://simh.trailing-edge.com/
SIMH Original Software Kits (including bootable UNIX v7 and v6 disks) -
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/software.html

The SIMH v.4.x Github place, a branch of the original project with some
interesting additions - https://github.com/simh/simh
SIMH v4.0 development binaries -
https://github.com/simh/Win32-Development-Binaries

Kind Regards

Sergio Pedraja

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-31 13:51     ` Tom Lyon
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Tom Lyon @ 2019-10-31 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

The Bell Labs 370 port was different, it was based on running inside of
TSS/370, which was an IBM OS which hardly anyone besides Bells's ESS group
used.

Clem can tell us all about the IBM/Locus port to the 370.  And maybe there
was another IBM port??

Much later, Sun ported Solaris to the Hitachi HDS 370 clones (for Hitachi),
and then to Amdahl clones for Amdahl/Fujitsu.

--
- Tom

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-31 14:10       ` arnold
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: arnold @ 2019-10-31 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pugs, arnold; +Cc: tuhs

Tom,

Thanks.

AIX/370 existed and I *think* would boot on bare metal instead of running
on top of VM.  I don't know what, if any, relationship it had to the
Locus work. (In the late '80s I worked at a university computing center
with VMS, Suns, and IBM gear; so I'm recalling what I heard. I never
actually saw AIX/370 running.)

> The Bell Labs 370 port was different, it was based on running inside of
> TSS/370, which was an IBM OS which hardly anyone besides Bells's ESS group
> used.

That's what I thought. That clarifies the README for the TUHS archives
(Warren, ...).

> Much later, Sun ported Solaris to the Hitachi HDS 370 clones (for Hitachi),
> and then to Amdahl clones for Amdahl/Fujitsu.

Any chance on getting those? ISTR that it was SunOS 4.0 that was
ported. Larry -- any firsthand knowledge on that?

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-31 14:22         ` Larry McVoy
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2019-10-31 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: tuhs

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 08:10:39AM -0600, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> > Much later, Sun ported Solaris to the Hitachi HDS 370 clones (for Hitachi),
> > and then to Amdahl clones for Amdahl/Fujitsu.
>
> Any chance on getting those? ISTR that it was SunOS 4.0 that was
> ported. Larry -- any firsthand knowledge on that?

As surprised as I am to admit this, I knew nothing about this.  Never even
heard about it.

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-31 14:24         ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2019-10-31 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aharon Robbins; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

El jue., 31 oct. 2019 a las 15:11, <arnold@skeeve.com> escribió:

> Tom,
>
> > The Bell Labs 370 port was different, it was based on running inside of
> > TSS/370, which was an IBM OS which hardly anyone besides Bells's ESS
> group
> > used.
>
> That's what I thought. That clarifies the README for the TUHS archives
> (Warren, ...).

Just in case someone would like to put an eye on it, there is one copy of
TSS available to run under Hercules.

Regards
Sergio

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-31 15:10       ` Heinz Lycklama
From: Heinz Lycklama @ 2019-10-31 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Lyon, arnold; +Cc: tuhs

We (INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.) also did a port of UNIX to
IBM's VM/370 for IBM in the mid 1980's. Also ported UNIX
to Hitachi's mainframe in the late 1980's, although it's not
mentioned here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Systems_Corporation

Heinz

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-10-31 15:12   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-10-31 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Lyon; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:57 PM Tom Lyon <pugs@ieee.org> wrote:

> Hi, folks. Tom Lyon here - this UNIX 370 stuff was recovered by Stephen at
> LCM+L from DECtapes that I've had sitting around for 40+ years.
> You can read all about the Princeton/Amdahl project here:
> https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/12/370unixpart1/
>
> If anyone wants to get serious with the code, you'll need Hercules with a
> VM/370 image as well as a PDP-11 emulator running V6. There's not a lot
> beyond the kernel, I got the shell working enough to prove that fork
> worked, and then ran out of steam because of the awful communication
> problems between the PDP and the IBM.  [ But that was my start as a
> networking guy ]. I personally haven't had time to do anything with the
> recovered bits.
>
> I've been lurking on TUHS for a while - a special Hi to Ken Thompson and
> Steve Johnson. I owe a lot to each of them. Read about my summer at Bell
> with the Interdata 8/32 here:
> https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/16/belllabspart1/

These are interesting bits that add to the flavor of what we know already.
Thank you for taking the time to write this up...

One interesting thing from this. Your UNIX 370 port was started before the
Wollongong Interdata port. Your work on Unix 370 started in August of '75,
but the Wollongong port started in November '76 and was put into production
in July '77.

And we have the TSS/370 port described in the BSTJ, and the Bell Lab's
Intersil 8/32 port. It makes me wonder what other porting efforts had
started in the 75-78 time frame....

Warner

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 9:04 PM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
>
>> All, the second Unix artifact that I've been waiting to announce has
>> arrived. This time the LCM+L is announcing it. It's not the booting PDP-7.
>>
>> So, cast your eyes on https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/IBM/370/
>>
>> Cheers, Warren
>>
>> P.S Thanks to Stephen Jones for this as well.
>>

> --
> - Tom

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-10-31 15:31         ` Charles H Sauer
From: Charles H Sauer @ 2019-10-31 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

AIX/370 was done by LCC, primarily in Santa Monica. AIX PS/2 was also
part of that effort. Clem probably remembers more. Charlie

On 10/31/2019 9:10 AM, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:

> AIX/370 existed and I *think* would boot on bare metal instead of running
> on top of VM.  I don't know what, if any, relationship it had to the
> Locus work. (In the late '80s I worked at a university computing center
> with VMS, Suns, and IBM gear; so I'm recalling what I heard. I never
> actually saw AIX/370 running.)

--
voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer@technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-11-01 16:40       ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-11-01 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Lyon; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 6:52 AM Tom Lyon <pugs@ieee.org> wrote:

> The Bell Labs 370 port was different, it was based on running inside of
> TSS/370, which was an IBM OS which hardly anyone besides Bells's ESS group
> used.

It's funny, I did not learn of it until after CMU discommomission that
IBM/TSS system which I broke in on.

> Clem can tell us all about the IBM/Locus port to the 370.

Yeah it was called and would be a product Locus did for IBM (AIX/370)
primarily for the University market.   It's what the Locus (TCF) book
describes.

> And maybe there was another IBM port??

I'm not sure what Amdahl had originally.  I had always thought it was based
on your original from Princeton.

> Much later, Sun ported Solaris to the Hitachi HDS 370 clones (for
> Hitachi), and then to Amdahl clones for Amdahl/Fujitsu.

I heard that had been done, but never knew how well it worked.

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-01 16:52         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-11-01 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aharon Robbins; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 7:11 AM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Thanks.
>
> AIX/370 existed and I *think* would boot on bare metal instead of running
> on top of VM.  I don't know what, if any, relationship it had to the
> Locus work. (In the late '80s I worked at a university computing center
> with VMS, Suns, and IBM gear; so I'm recalling what I heard. I never
> actually saw AIX/370 running.)

AIX/370 and AIX/386 were done for IBM under contract by Locus Computing
Corporation (a.k.a. LCC)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locus_Computing_Corporation> .  And yes,
most customers that I knew ran it bare metal.

Because of TCF (Transparent Computing Facility), PS/2 based PC were
clustered with the 370s, under a single system image (i.e. up to 32
processors of any time, looked to the world like a single processor).   The
OS looked at the binary and found a properly provisioned system in the
cluster to execute it.  So you could have require option hardware that only
one node might have, and the process would be migrated to that node.  It
also meant nodes could and be added and removed dynamically.

The ideas were recreated as 14 different technologies called Transparent
Network Computing (TNC) that would end up in the FOSS community and added
to Linux 2x kernel as: OpenSSI <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSSI>

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-11-03  1:02   ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2019-11-03  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave McGuire, Tom Lyon; +Cc: tuhs

Tom,

In case you ever pass through Pittsburgh, Dave has 370s of various flavor
and some pdp-11s.  I’d be pretty entertained trying to get this running in
some capacity on real iron in the future when I visit Dave.

I may put out another form to see if people would be interested in doing an
event there.

In the meantime thanks for recovering and posting this.

Regards,
Kevin

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 8:57 PM Tom Lyon <pugs@ieee.org> wrote:

> Hi, folks. Tom Lyon here - this UNIX 370 stuff was recovered by Stephen at
> LCM+L from DECtapes that I've had sitting around for 40+ years.
> You can read all about the Princeton/Amdahl project here:
> https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/12/370unixpart1/
>
> If anyone wants to get serious with the code, you'll need Hercules with a
> VM/370 image as well as a PDP-11 emulator running V6. There's not a lot
> beyond the kernel, I got the shell working enough to prove that fork
> worked, and then ran out of steam because of the awful communication
> problems between the PDP and the IBM.  [ But that was my start as a
> networking guy ]. I personally haven't had time to do anything with the
> recovered bits.
>
> I've been lurking on TUHS for a while - a special Hi to Ken Thompson and
> Steve Johnson. I owe a lot to each of them. Read about my summer at Bell
> with the Interdata 8/32 here:
> https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/16/belllabspart1/
>
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 9:04 PM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
>
>> All, the second Unix artifact that I've been waiting to announce has
>> arrived. This time the LCM+L is announcing it. It's not the booting PDP-7.
>>
>> So, cast your eyes on https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/IBM/370/
>>
>> Cheers, Warren
>>
>> P.S Thanks to Stephen Jones for this as well.
>>

> --
> - Tom

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-11-03  7:05           ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-11-03  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: clemc, arnold; +Cc: tuhs

Thaks Clem.

Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 7:11 AM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:
>
> > Tom,
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > AIX/370 existed and I *think* would boot on bare metal instead of running
> > on top of VM.  I don't know what, if any, relationship it had to the
> > Locus work. (In the late '80s I worked at a university computing center
> > with VMS, Suns, and IBM gear; so I'm recalling what I heard. I never
> > actually saw AIX/370 running.)
> >
> AIX/370 and AIX/386 were done for IBM under contract by Locus Computing
> Corporation (a.k.a. LCC)
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locus_Computing_Corporation> .  And yes,
> most customers that I knew ran it bare metal.

Glad to know that I remembered correctly.

In the early 90s I worked teaching multi-vendor Unix courses. One
frustration was that AIX on the 370 and AIX on the PS/2 were essentially
the same as each other but very different from AIX on the RS/6000
machines.  A co-worker and I wrote a short essay about if IBM made
cooking equipment:

	The IBM Industrial Furnace and the IBM camping stove
	would be almost, but not quite entirely, totally different
	from the IBM Home Oven.

Or something like that. I can't find the original.

> Because of TCF (Transparent Computing Facility), PS/2 based PC were
> clustered with the 370s, under a single system image (i.e. up to 32
> processors of any time, looked to the world like a single processor).   The
> OS looked at the binary and found a properly provisioned system in the
> cluster to execute it.  So you could have require option hardware that only
> one node might have, and the process would be migrated to that node.  It
> also meant nodes could and be added and removed dynamically.

Very cool.

> The ideas were recreated as 14 different technologies called Transparent
> Network Computing (TNC) that would end up in the FOSS community and added
> to Linux 2x kernel as: OpenSSI <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSSI>

Am I wrong, or does nobody actually use this today? The opessi.org
home page link from Wikipedia just seems to hang. And the files on the
SourceForge page are 5 years old.

Thanks,

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-11-03 21:16             ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2019-11-03 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aharon Robbins; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 12:06 AM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:

> > The ideas were recreated as 14 different technologies called Transparent
> > Network Computing (TNC) that would end up in the FOSS community and added
> > to Linux 2x kernel as: OpenSSI <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSSI>
>
> Am I wrong, or does nobody actually use this today? The opessi.org
> home page link from Wikipedia just seems to hang. And the files on the
> SourceForge page are 5 years old.

I suspect not - it was done to 2.6 kernel and none of the changes were
taken by Linus for 3x   Folks got discouraged and gave up

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-11-04 14:43               ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2019-11-04 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: clemc, arnold; +Cc: tuhs

Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 12:06 AM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:
>

> > > The ideas were recreated as 14 different technologies called Transparent
> > > Network Computing (TNC) that would end up in the FOSS community and added
> > > to Linux 2x kernel as: OpenSSI <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSSI>
> >
> > Am I wrong, or does nobody actually use this today? The opessi.org
> > home page link from Wikipedia just seems to hang. And the files on the
> > SourceForge page are 5 years old.
> >
> I suspect not - it was done to 2.6 kernel and none of the changes were
> taken by Linus for 3x   Folks got discouraged and gave up

Ah, OK. Thanks for the info. On the one hand, two bad. On the other hand,
it looks like a real patchwork quilt of technologies...

Thanks,

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370
@ 2019-11-05  4:12   ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2019-11-05  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 10/28/19 11:19 PM, Adam Thornton wrote:
> Too bad the LCM+L has my P/390 and I had to give my Integrated Server
> back to IBM.

I recently acquired a P/390-E and I'd be happy to try running something
on it.  It was a learning experience getting it up and operational.
(That's a story for a different day.)

I'd love to get my hands on AIX/370.  I figured it was gone for good
after I read that IBM tried to actively destroy it and wipe it from history.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: [TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370