The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Question about Unix adminstration
@ 2021-10-25 18:53 joseph turco
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Hello all,

I was wondering if there exists a book on Unix administration, specifically
for v7. I have the Unix programmers book already.

Regards

Joseph Turco

* Re: [TUHS] Question about Unix adminstration
@ 2021-10-25 19:01 ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2021-10-25 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joseph turco, TUHS main list

Unix System Administration by Evi Nemeth et al was written for earlier
UNIX systems but has been revised over the years for later versions.

@ 2021-10-25 19:20 ` Scot Jenkins
From: Scot Jenkins @ 2021-10-25 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, italian.pepe.32

joseph turco <italian.pepe.32@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if there exists a book on Unix administration, specifically
> for v7. I have the Unix programmers book already.

Introducing the UNIX System, (c) 1983, ISBN 0-07-045001-3
by Henry McGilton and Rachel Morgan

The book covers V7 and is a general intro to UNIX.
It has one chapter on administration near the end
of the book.  It covers very basic stuff:

* setting the date
* startup/shutdown
* users and groups, su command
* file systems (mkfs, mount, umount, fsck, icheck, ncheck)
* adding devices (mknod)
* dump, restor, tar

Overall though this is still a great book on UNIX in general,
even today.  Great tutorials on ed, sed, ex, vi, nroff/troff,
and ms macros make it worthwhile to own.

scot

* Re: [TUHS] Question about Unix adminstration
@ 2021-10-28 22:01   ` Paul Riley
From: Paul Riley @ 2021-10-28 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Jenkins; +Cc: tuhs

And, as a matter of interest, is there a book for V6?

Paul

*Paul Riley*

@ 2021-10-28 22:01 ` Paul Riley
From: Paul Riley @ 2021-10-28 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joseph turco; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2021-10-29 13:41     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-10-29 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Riley; +Cc: tuhs

much of what Evi says from an administrator standpoint will apply.  That
said if you are running V6 get a copy of the Lion's text.

For real synthesis, maje sure your copy is an nth generation xerographic
copy😅.  Seriously go to Amazon and get the modern reprint.

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 12:02 AM Paul Riley <paul@rileyriot.com> wrote:

> And, as a matter of interest, is there a book for V6?
>
> Paul
>
> *Paul Riley*
>

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2021 at 06:28, Scot Jenkins <sj@sdf.org> wrote:
>
>> joseph turco <italian.pepe.32@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I was wondering if there exists a book on Unix administration,
>> specifically
>> > for v7. I have the Unix programmers book already.
>>
>> Introducing the UNIX System, (c) 1983, ISBN 0-07-045001-3
>> by Henry McGilton and Rachel Morgan
>>
>> The book covers V7 and is a general intro to UNIX.
>> It has one chapter on administration near the end
>> of the book.  It covers very basic stuff:
>>
>> * setting the date
>> * startup/shutdown
>> * users and groups, su command
>> * file systems (mkfs, mount, umount, fsck, icheck, ncheck)
>> * adding devices (mknod)
>> * dump, restor, tar
>>
>> Overall though this is still a great book on UNIX in general,
>> even today.  Great tutorials on ed, sed, ex, vi, nroff/troff,
>> and ms macros make it worthwhile to own.
>>
>> scot
>>
> --
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual

* Re: [TUHS] Question about Unix adminstration
@ 2021-10-29 14:04       ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-10-29 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: tuhs

Evi seems like overkill. By admin, are we really talking about admin, or just standard usage. Ritchie’s install guide and a book like Bourne’s Unix System (my personal favorite) book, or even one of the Kochan books might serve. I know Bourne and Kochan’s books are for later systems, but the bulk of them still apply. The Lion book is a great recommendation.

Will

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2021-10-29 14:32         ` A. P. Garcia
From: A. P. Garcia @ 2021-10-29 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Unix Heritage Society

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 10:05 AM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Evi seems like overkill. By admin, are we really talking about admin, or just standard usage. Ritchie’s install guide and a book like Bourne’s Unix System (my personal favorite) book, or even one of the Kochan books might serve. I know Bourne and Kochan’s books are for later systems, but the bulk of them still apply. The Lion book is a great recommendation.
>
> Will

Kernighan and Pike's The Unix Programming Environment is another classic...

* Re: [TUHS] Question about Unix adminstration
@ 2021-10-29 22:56           ` joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-29 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: A. P. Garcia; +Cc: The Unix Heritage Society