On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 5:00 PM Paul Winalski wrote: Dropping toxic features from a language does happen at standards > committees, but it's rare. The best case I know of where this > happened was when the international standard for PL/I came out. They > started with IBM PL/I but then dropped a bunch of features that were > either obsolete (e.g., sterling pictures) or downright dangerous > (e.g., the DEFAULT statement). > That actually happened twice. The 1976 standard removed features from IBM PL/I; the 1981 Subset G standard removed even more features. (A few were added back in the 1987 revision of Subset G.) > On the other side of the spectrum you have the BASIC standards > committee. BASIC has always had to live down a reputation that it's a > "toy language" not suitable for "serious programming". The standards > committee seems to have suffered from an inferiority complex, and it > seemed from my perspective that as fast as the PL/I committee chucked > out toxic language, the BASIC committee adopted them. There are two Basic standards as well: the smaller one came first.