The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
To: Aharon Robbins <arnold@skeeve.com>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] efl(1) anyone?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 11:25:42 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 3:48 AM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:

> - Is my impression that it didn't catch on correct? Or am I ignorant?

My sense after the fact (I wasn't there and could only see the published
stuff) is that EFL couldn't compete with the f77 (later f2c)
compiler, which came out at about the same time.  Because the EFL compiler
parses the whole language, unlike Ratfor, it can't cope with extensions to
Fortran 66+, so it is stuck in the deep past.  Ratfor "does not know [much]
Fortran", so if you want to use some new-style declarations or '77-or-later
`format' specifiers in Ratfor code, you're cool.  (Although by now Fortran
probably does everything Ratfor does, although in a much less C-ish way.)