I'll check it out eventually. $10 on Ebay (the cheapest per bookfinder.com) is a little steep nowadays. Maybe I'll spring for a <$17 new copy. No Kindle, alas. On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 9:35 AM Larry McVoy wrote: > On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 09:07:49AM -0400, John Cowan wrote: > > On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 10:20 PM Noel Chiappa > > wrote: > > > > > > > it had things called 'flows' which were half way between pure > > > datagrams (i.e. no setup - you just stick the right destination > address in > > > the > > > header and send it off) and VCs (read the RFCs if you want to kow why), > > > > > > > In that connection I have always admired Padlipsky's RFC 962, which > > exploits the existing TCP architecture to do just this. So simple, so > > easy, so Unixy. > > I knew Mike, interesting dude. His "The Elements of Networking Style" is > a very fun read but also, for me, just getting to understand networking, > it snapped a bunch of stuff into focus. I think you have to read it > at just the right spot in your career and I did. Great little book and > full of jabs like "If you know what you are doing, 3 layers are enough. > If you don't, 7 aren't." >