On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 2:25 PM Chet Ramey wrote: > A former CWRU president (very soon after the merger) used to tell freshmen > the same thing during his annual address to the incoming class. > I remember being told that when I arrived at Case in 1976; sure enough, within a year I was the one who had departed. I didn't belong there anyway. I wound up, for family reasons, at CCNY and signed up for the Communications and Mass Media program, but I haunted the college bookstore and picked up the computer-science books (this was back when casuals could actually afford to buy them; one I got then was the Elements of Programming Style). I have never allowed schooling to interfere with my education. Two other things I remember from that speech were that Michelson was a Casie and Morley was a Reservie, and that (as the campus was completely covered with mud at the time), we were never to trust 100-year flood estimates in the United States, as there was not enough evidence to go on, and that in fact that was the third 100-year flood in Cleveland in the last 16 years.