On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 11:22 AM Larry McVoy wrote: I get the historical interest, but in today's world, is there any > advantage to ksh over bash? I get that lots of scripts are run > with /bin/sh and it is nice when that is fast, but aren't the cpus > fast enough these days that it sort of doesn't matter? > Ubuntu chose it as the default shell for sysvinit startup scripts in 2006 (from which it spread to BSD) precisely because it was much faster than bash. It's also smaller: bash is a memory hog. When I wrote a whole (batch) application in about 120 Perl and shell scripts in 1999-2001, I often needed multiple shell scripts running simultaneously, sometimes for concurrency and sometimes just from scripts calling other scripts. So I made sure everything ran under Solaris sh, which was a modified Bourne shell at that time and so was much lighter than bash, which I used for development. Nowadays I'd use dash in the same circumstances.