The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
       [not found] <CAKH6PiXmR6Jv0bkyOtHuk1ZLV64aeW7bnQkUnzV9-G_JaUVDAA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-03-30 23:38 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2021-03-30 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: TUHS main list

I missed the fact that Posix and Linux ed support s/foo/bar/3 (as opposed
to s3/foo/bar); ex does not, unfortunately.

We need a Great Unification of Line Editors.

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-31  2:34   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2021-03-31  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

On Mar 30, 2021, at 4:38 PM, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:

> I missed the fact that Posix and Linux ed support s/foo/bar/3 (as opposed to s3/foo/bar); ex does not, unfortunately.

By analogy with s/RE/replacement/g, it would have made more sense
to allow sN/foo/bar/M to mean replace M instances of foo with bar,
starting the Nth instance of foo. N & M default to 1. M can also be g.

> We need a Great Unification of Line Editors.

Add in sam's command language as well!

Alternately I'd want k style array language built in, enhanced with
regexps.

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-31  1:29 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2021-03-31  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 9:03 PM Norman Wilson <norman@oclsc.org> wrote:

A standard for the standard editor?

No, I mean an implementation that provides the union of features (and
preferably though not necessarily of syntaxes) in Posix ed and ex, GNU ed,
the ex mode of vim, and BSD ed.

I thought the nice thing about standards was that there
> were so many of them.

... and if you don't like any of them, wait till next year, yes.  But (to
use examples of local significance) who would have foreseen that a
character encoding standard put forward in 1992 for an obscure OS in 1992
would so completely take over the world, or for that matter another obscure
OS written by the same people in 1969?

It's fine to complain that there is no more research in such-and-such an
area; however, while many projects are worked on forever and the great
majority are abandoned, there is a third kind of project that is simply
*finished*.  Cal, for example, provides the same output in both Linux and
BSD versions as the Seventh Edition when given the original arguments
(except for titlecasing the weekday names), though both have additional
bells and whistles such as being able to set the date of the Gregorian
reform.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
Gules six bars argent on a canton azure 50 mullets argent
six five six five six five six five and six
   --blazoning the U.S. flag <http://web.meson.org/blazonserver>

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-31  0:54 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2021-03-31  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

John Cowan:

  We need a Great Unification of Line Editors.

====

A standard for the standard editor?

I thought the nice thing about standards was that there
were so many of them.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-30 15:00         ` Kenneth Goodwin
From: Kenneth Goodwin @ 2021-03-30 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik E. Fair; +Cc: TUHS main list

As I recall, the Dataproducts band printers BP1000, BP2000 only had a
single hammer per column. But the band containing the full character set
moved so quickly into position for each column that the print speed was
incredible. We had both models at one point and the 2000 was an absolute
screamer.
Paper just flew over the paper guides to the collection basket in the rear.

It was impressive and incredible to watch in action.

The bands were easily replaceable via a release lever.  So you could change
fonts,  replace damaged bands, etc.
Sharp as heck as I recall on the edges.
You also had to make sure it lined up just right before engaging the
tension lever.

With cover down, they were remarkably quiet in comparison to other "high
speed" printers I had been around. Real good at multipart forms at making
clean clear impressions on the backmost layer.

       [not found]         ` <CALMnNGgWrFRjXk5N4PgTj0_Yw3W5nCR2=CYSASM6dnqTooy8Dw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-03-30  8:53           ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2021-03-30  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akosela; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2021-03-30  7:37             ` Harald Arnesen
From: Harald Arnesen @ 2021-03-30  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

John P. Linderman [30.03.2021 00:29]:

>     In common to both schemes is that each both styles had 132 hammers
>     and when the proper character was in the position needed, the hammer
>     fired to make an impression the ribbon on the paper, which was
>     caused the noise people associated with computer printers.  The
>     high-end IBM 1401 had a hydraulic cover that came down over it and
>     was controlled by the channel processor (it would auto-open when it
>     needed to be serviced - like a new box of paper).
>
> This led to the "first commandment of fancy printers": Thou shalt not
> leave thine coffee on top of the printer. -- jpl

A former co-worker told me he had once placed a deck of punched cards on
top of such a printer...he didn't do it a second time.
--
Hilsen Harald

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-30  4:30             ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2021-03-30  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John P. Linderman; +Cc: TUHS main list

Night operators were known to nap on top of the 1401s. When there was a
need for more paper, they would be gently awakened.

-rob

@ 2021-03-30  3:39 ` Rich Morin
From: Rich Morin @ 2021-03-30  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

I spent a few years working with a CDC 3800, which also had a pneumatic card reader, along with several other noisy peripherals.  Although I have no way to prove this, I suspect that my current hearing issues stem from the noise in that machine room.

-r

@ 2021-03-30  0:11 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2021-03-30  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Wilson; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 11:59 AM Norman Wilson <norman@oclsc.org> wrote:

> The b command (stands for browse) came from late-1970s
> U of T; rob probably brought it to 1127.

It's little things like this that make me use ex rather than ed, though it
is spelled z there.  Linux ed has z as an extension.

> There were a
> handful of other syntactic conveniences, like being
> allowed to leave off the final delimeter of an s command,
> and declaring that a missing address means 1 before the
> comma or semicolon and $ after, so
>         3,s/fish/&head
> works over all lines from 3 to the last, and , standing
> alone addresses the whole buffer.

Those things are in Posix now.  Linux ed is a superset of Posix; *BSD ed is
rather lacking, being based on an old SVID.

> Also the idea that s followed by a digit N means start
> with the Nth instance of the pattern:
>         s3/fish/&head/
> affects only the third fish, and
>         s3/fish/&head/g
> every fish after the second.

That's neither Posix ed nor ex, and very annoying it is to lack it.

> b.  The > < | commands, [...] make qed into a kind of workbench,
> both for massaging data and for constructing a list
> of commands to send to the shell.
>
> I gather current Linux/BSD eds have > and <, spelled
> r ! and w !, but without | it just ain't the same,
> rather like the way | revolutionized the shell.

Ex extends the ! command to accept numeric arguments and has the same
semantics.  Unfortunately, although "r !" and "w !" are in both Posix ed
and ex, in ex "w !foo" means "output to the foo command" whereas "w! foo"
means "write to foo, ignoring the internal 'don't overwrite' bit that you
can set."

I wrote two specs that may be of interest to someone:

<https://github.com/johnwcowan/exx/blob/master/exx/exx-features.txt> was my
attempt to describe "ex extended" that could still be a lightweight editor
by not needing the vi bag on the side.

<https://github.com/johnwcowan/exx/blob/master/sam/sam-extensions.txt> is a
list of things that make me not want to use sam -d editing until they are
provided in some form.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
On the Semantic Web, it's too hard to prove you're not a dog.
        --Bill de hOra

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 23:21 M Douglas McIlroy
From: M Douglas McIlroy @ 2021-03-29 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

@ 2021-03-29 22:29           ` John P. Linderman
From: John P. Linderman @ 2021-03-29 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2021-03-29 21:53         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-03-29 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik E. Fair; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 5:16 PM Erik E. Fair <fair-tuhs@netbsd.org> wrote:

> Technically, the DEC DECwriter series were dot-matrix printers, not line
> printers. They differed from their Teletype predecessors only in print-head
> technology, but both printed a single character at a time. Daisywheel
> printers were similar.

Right....

> Line printers are distinguished not by the width of the paper but by the
> printer having enough print heads to print an entire line of output at a
> time. That speed advantage made them the preferred output device for
> many-page program listings, as opposed to a teleprinter terminals which
> were more suitable for interactive computing.

There were originally two styles, the drum printers which DEC sold(e.g.
LP20)  and the chain printers that IBM offered (e.g. 1401).  The drum had
all the characters in each of the 132 columns (the upper case only printers
were faster because the alphabet was on the drum in two places).  The IBM ones
has slugs on a rapidly spinning chain that was horizontal (and parallel) to
the line being printed.    The chain was easily replaceable by the operator
- which was one of the duties we would have.  When a user queued a printer
a set of symbols (*i.e.* the chain of the needed output characters) was
specified and the system queued it until the printer had been properly
provisioned.   For instance, CMU printed checks with a special chain and
film ink, so once a night the operator would configure the printer, and
tell the queue to print them).  Some chains were faster than others, the
standard one had N copies of each character.

In common to both schemes is that each both styles had 132 hammers and when
the proper character was in the position needed, the hammer fired to make
an impression the ribbon on the paper, which was caused the noise people
associated with computer printers.  The high-end IBM 1401 had a hydraulic
cover that came down over it and was controlled by the channel processor
(it would auto-open when it needed to be serviced - like a new box of
paper).  But even with the cover down it still loud.

The original DEC ones were OEM'ed from Centronix and were noted for always
being a little random on the hammer timing and thus the print on the paper
often looked like the characters bounced on the line. I remember the ones
we had on the PDP-10s were awful and the issue with BLISS is that the dot
operator is extremely important to your code and the dots were sometimes
notoriously missing.

Cabling could be difficult too.  They were parallel devices and were
supposed to have shorter cables (*i.e.* in the machine room).   IBM used
its own interface, but by the mid-1970s the Centronix printers were pretty
standard on the mini-computers and their parallel interface became the
standard (in fact the IBM PC supplied a Centronix parallel interface).

> There were dot-matrix line printers of the late 1970s made by Printronix,
> which is apparently still around.

IIRC, in 1979 the Printronix cost about $5K, plus another $300-$500 for an
Arduino sized parallel to serial converter that they sold so the printer
could be remote on a 9600 baud serial line.   Until the cheaper lasers came
about, these were often the standard printers that UNIX sites had [I was
told once that the original Lion's book was printed on one].    They were
about ½ the cost of the DEC printers and since it will all pins, did not
have the bounce issue the drums had.    When the UNIX boxes started to
appear at CMU we used them, and IIRC @ UC Berkeley, we had a number of them
around Cory Hall also.
ᐧ

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 21:14         ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2021-03-29 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik E. Fair; +Cc: TUHS main list

Whatever we had, it was slow.  Printed one char at a time.  So you got
good and memorizing the code and only asking to see it rarely.

Be funny trying to explain this to my kids.  I think they'd get it at
some level but really have no idea how much we worked to not let the
printer do anything.

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 21:10       ` Erik E. Fair
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Erik E. Fair @ 2021-03-29 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2021-03-29 20:55     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2021-03-29 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Usher; +Cc: TUHS main list

My high school had some computer, don't remember what, may have been a
PDP 11.  The *only* terminal was a line printer, probably a DECwriter,
don't remember.  I do remember it being about 130 columns.

I don't remember if it was the real ed or a clone, but the editor was
very similar to ed(1).  And yes, it's the only way to go with a printer
console.

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 20:50   ` Michael Usher via TUHS
From: Michael Usher via TUHS @ 2021-03-29 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Pike; +Cc: TUHS main list

—

@ 2021-03-29 19:50 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2021-03-29 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list

Ed is the standard editor.

-rob

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 1:36 AM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> I had *.clients.your-server.de crawling mcvoy.com in violation of my
> robots.txt.  For whatever reason, the tty settings (or something)
> made vi not work, I dunno what the deal is, stty -tabs didn't help.
>
> So I had to resort to ed to write and debug the little program below.
> It was surprisingly pleasant, it's probably the first time I've used ed
> for anything real in at least a decade.  My fingers still know it.
>
> +1 for ed.  It's how many decades old and still useful?
>

> #!/usr/libexec/bitkeeper/bk tclsh
>
> int
> main(void)
> {
>         FILE    log = popen("/var/log/apache2/dns.l", "r");
>         string  buf, ip;
>         string  dropped{string};
>
>         fconfigure(log, buffering: "line");
>         while (buf = <log>) {
>                 unless (buf =~ /([^ ]+\.your-server\.de\.) /) continue;
>                 ip = $1;
>                 if (defined(dropped{ip})) continue;
>                 dropped{ip} = "yes";
>                 warn("DROP ${ip}\n");
>                 system("/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s ${ip} -j DROP");
>         }
> }

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-29 18:12     ` Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS @ 2021-03-29 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> writes:

> That said, as one of those 'grey beards,' can I recommend that you
> stop, and go to a technical library or bookstore and find yourself a
> copy of Rob and Brian's wonderful book: "*The Unix Programming
> Environment*" (*a.k.a* "UPE" or ISBN 0-13-937699-2) *then do the
> exercises*.

That is a great book - I'd been a Unix sysadmin for more than a decade
when I got it, and I learned a lot of new stuff from it.  Twenty years
later, that book is still among my favorites, along with their newer
joint effort, "The Practice of Programming".  Then there's the AWK book,
of course, and just about anything else with Brian Kernighan's name on
it.  It's like with Date on database systems, or Stevens on networking;
you just know it's going to be good.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 17:22       ` arnold
       [not found]         ` <CALMnNGgWrFRjXk5N4PgTj0_Yw3W5nCR2=CYSASM6dnqTooy8Dw@mail.gmail.com>
From: arnold @ 2021-03-29 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brantley, akosela; +Cc: tuhs

Andy Kosela <akosela@andykosela.com> wrote:

> If ed(1) had cursor positioning and full screen capabilities along
> with line oriented editing (similar to Atari 8-bit default editor) it
> would be perfect.  I still love it though and use it pretty often.

Try out the 'se' editor, see www.se-editor.org.

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 16:20 ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2021-03-29 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021, Larry McVoy wrote:

> I had *.clients.your-server.de crawling mcvoy.com in violation of my
> robots.txt.  For whatever reason, the tty settings (or something)
> made vi not work, I dunno what the deal is, stty -tabs didn't help.

Hetzner.  They're one of those cheap hosting providers (one of my servers
is hosted with them), and those types of providers are magnets for scum
because they're so cheap (OVH, which is the provider that hosted my mail
server for years, is particularly infamous).

-uso.

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 16:01     ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2021-03-29 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list

On 3/29/21, Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:
> Anders -- good for you.
>
> That said, as one of those 'grey beards,' can I recommend that you stop,
> and go to a technical library or bookstore and find yourself a copy of Rob
> and Brian's wonderful book: "*The Unix Programming Environment*" (*a.k.a*
> "UPE" or ISBN 0-13-937699-2)  *then do the exercises*.  That book is still
> relevant today - a little secret, I give a copy of it and "*Advanced
> Programming in the Unix Environment*" (*a.k.a.* "APUE") to all my new
> engineers - even though they are all using 'Linux' for their work.  To
> those that object at first, I remind them, Linux is just the current and
> most popular implementation of the ideas from Ken, Dennis, Doug, and
> friends and I'm sure they will learn something from the time invested[1].

+1.  It is still my all time favorite Unix book, but the best ed(1)
tutorial I read has to be UNIX Programmer's Manual for Version 7.
Still highly recommended.

--Andy

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 15:58 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2021-03-29 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

ed is the standard editor, they say.

The b command (stands for browse) came from late-1970s
U of T; rob probably brought it to 1127.  There were a
handful of other syntactic conveniences, like being
allowed to leave off the final delimeter of an s command,
and declaring that a missing address means 1 before the
comma or semicolon and $ after, so
	3,s/fish/&head
works over all lines from 3 to the last, and , standing
alone addresses the whole buffer.

Also the idea that s followed by a digit N means start
with the Nth instance of the pattern:
	s3/fish/&head/
affects only the third fish, and
	s3/fish/&head/g
every fish after the second.

I have all those tweaks, plus a few others, embedded in
my fingers from the qed produced by the same Toronto
hacks.  I contracted it from the copy rob left behind
at Caltech, which means it has been my editor of choice
for 40 years now (with sam as an alternate favourite
since its inception 35 years or so ago).  That qed
has a lot of cryptic programming stuff that I have
mostly forgotten because it was never that useful, but
what really hooked me was
a.  Multiple buffers, with the ability to move and
copy text between them reasonably smoothly (both with
the m and t commands and with an interpolate-into-input
magic character);
b.  The > < | commands, which respectively send the
addressed lines to a shell command (default ,), replace
the addressed lines or append after the single addressed
line the standard output of the shell command (default .),
and replaced addressed lines with what you get by
sending them (default ,) to the shell command, replacing
them with its standard output.

The last operators make qed into a kind of workbench,
both for massaging data and for constructing a list
of commands to send to the shell.

I gather current Linux/BSD eds have > and <, spelled
r ! and w !, but without | it just ain't the same,
rather like the way | revolutionized the shell.

I believe the credit for U of T ed and qed go mainly
to Rob Pike, Tom Duff, Hugh Redelmeier, and the (alas
now late) David Tillbrook.  David remained an avid
user of qed, continuing to add stuff to it.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

PS: this message, as most of my e-mail, composed by
typing it into qed, editing as needed, then running

@ 2021-03-29 15:52         ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2021-03-29 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brantley Coile; +Cc: tuhs

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021, 5:43 pm Brantley Coile, <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:

> Typo.
>
> Worry. Not a bad thing.

That's an informative answer ;)
Thanks!

Mark.

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 15:51       ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-03-29 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Kosela; +Cc: tuhs

Consider: Webb Miller's 's'   - It been on my 'todo' list to get it running
on 6th edition, but I admit that is low on my priority list.  But I have
run it on a couple of other 8-bit systems

-- from the readme ---

# s
A tiny vi like screen editor

Original sources were published in this book:

Author:     Webb Miller

Title:      A software tools sampler

Publisher:  Prentice-Hall, Inc. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA ©1987

ISBN:       0-13-822305-X

Martin, a guy from one of my hangouts named <c.o.cpm>, located
the sources from this book. The repository starts from these
original sources. Martin also provided the initial CP/M patches
for compiling with HI-TECH C. Then the sources were overworked,
to get it compiled without warnings on old systems with K&R
C compiler, as well as modern systems with ANSI C compiler.

This version of s is known to compile on:

HI-TECH C for the Z80 under CP/M

clang under OSX

clang and gcc under Linux

Mark Williams K&R C compiler under COHERENT
ᐧ

@ 2021-03-29 15:49     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2021-03-29 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list

That's an excellent book.  After that, try this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-UNIX-Programming-Marc-Rochkind/dp/0131411543

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 15:45     ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2021-03-29 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brantley Coile; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2021-03-29 15:43       ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2021-03-29 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark van Atten; +Cc: tuhs

Typo.

Worry. Not a bad thing.

> On Mar 29, 2021, at 11:36 AM, Mark van Atten <vanattenmark@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 at 17:27, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:
>> Some things I would have used awk/sed
>> for that I now use Sam's command window for, but that's a bad thing.
>
> Why is that a bad thing? (Informative question.)
>
> Mark.

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 15:42     ` Anders Damsgaard
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Anders Damsgaard @ 2021-03-29 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list

* Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> [2021-03-29 11:37:57 -0400]:

>Anders -- good for you.
>
>That said, as one of those 'grey beards,' can I recommend that you stop,
>and go to a technical library or bookstore and find yourself a copy of Rob
>and Brian's wonderful book: "*The Unix Programming Environment*" (*a.k.a*
>"UPE" or ISBN 0-13-937699-2)  *then do the exercises*.  That book is still
>relevant today - a little secret, I give a copy of it and "*Advanced
>Programming in the Unix Environment*" (*a.k.a.* "APUE") to all my new
>engineers - even though they are all using 'Linux' for their work.  To
>those that object at first, I remind them, Linux is just the current and
>most popular implementation of the ideas from Ken, Dennis, Doug, and
>friends and I'm sure they will learn something from the time invested[1].
>
>FWIW: Besides learning ed (which will help you unlock some of the mysteries
>of other UNIX tools like grep and sed), take a shot at looking at the
>introduction to nroff/troff (as has been discussed here - not to restart a
>war).  Learning to use a 'document compiler' like the troff family is never
>a bad investment.
>
>Have fun,
>Clem
>

>1.]  BTW I have yet had a young engineer that actually did try the
>exercises not come back and say something like "Wow, I never knew ...."   I
>don't gloat, but I smile inside, know that I just made them a more
>effective for our team.  If they ask, I point out I had been using UNIX and
>hacking on the kernel most every day for at least 10 years when it first
>appeared in the early 80's (84/85 I think), and I learned a few tricks when
>I read it.

I appreciate the kind advice Clem!  I'm dipping my toes into heirloom
doctools these days, and am delightened by the simplicity, modularity,
and speed compared to latex.  However, much to learn still so thanks
for the nudge.

Anders

* Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 15:37   ` Clem Cole
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-03-29 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anders Damsgaard; +Cc: TUHS main list

Anders -- good for you.

@ 2021-03-29 15:36     ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2021-03-29 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brantley Coile; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2021-03-29 15:26   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2021-03-29 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anders Damsgaard; +Cc: tuhs

From 1984, when I stopped using vi (vee eye), until the early 1990's, when

@ 2021-03-29 15:09 ` Anders Damsgaard
From: Anders Damsgaard @ 2021-03-29 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs

* Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> [2021-03-29 07:34:49 -0700]:

>I had *.clients.your-server.de crawling mcvoy.com in violation of my
>robots.txt.  For whatever reason, the tty settings (or something)
>made vi not work, I dunno what the deal is, stty -tabs didn't help.
>
>So I had to resort to ed to write and debug the little program below.
>It was surprisingly pleasant, it's probably the first time I've used ed
>for anything real in at least a decade.  My fingers still know it.
>
>+1 for ed.  It's how many decades old and still useful?

I recently learned ed(1) for the first time (I have a unix beard, but it's
not grey yet). I found ed to be very efficient and useful for small fixes,
even on slow connections.  This beginner's tutorial was very helpful
for me: gopher://katolaz.net/0/ed_tutorial.txt

(https mirror for non-gopher clients:
https://adamsgaard.dk/npub/ed_tutorial.txt )

* [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
@ 2021-03-29 14:34 Larry McVoy