The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07  2:11 Grant Taylor via TUHS
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2020-07-07  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Unix Heritage Society, COFF

On 7/6/20 7:30 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> People (not just Clem), when you change the topic, can you please
> modify the Subject: to match?  I'm not overly interested in uucp,
> but editors are a completely different matter.  I'm sure I'm not the
> only one, so many interested parties will miss these replies.

I see this type of change happen — in my not so humble opinion — /way/
/too/ /often/.

So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and / or
COFF mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could
subscribe to the topics that they are interested in and not receive
copies of topics they aren't interested in.

I'm assuming that TUHS and COFF are still on Mailman mailing lists and
that Warren would be amicable to such.

To clarify, it would still be the same mailing list(s) as they exist
today.  They would just have the to be utilized option of picking
interesting topics.  Where topics would be based on keywords in the
message body.

I'm just trying to gauge people's interest in this idea.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07  2:56 ` Adam Thornton
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Adam Thornton @ 2020-07-07  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Taylor; +Cc: The Unix Heritage Society, COFF

> On Jul 6, 2020, at 7:11 PM, Grant Taylor via COFF <coff@minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
>
> On 7/6/20 7:30 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> People (not just Clem), when you change the topic, can you please modify the Subject: to match?  I'm not overly interested in uucp, but editors are a completely different matter.  I'm sure I'm not the only one, so many interested parties will miss these replies.
>
> I see this type of change happen — in my not so humble opinion — /way/ /too/ /often/.
>
> So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and / or COFF mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could subscribe to the topics that they are interested in and not receive copies of topics they aren't interested in.
>
> I'm assuming that TUHS and COFF are still on Mailman mailing lists and that Warren would be amicable to such.
>
> To clarify, it would still be the same mailing list(s) as they exist today.  They would just have the to be utilized option of picking interesting topics.  Where topics would be based on keywords in the message body.
>
> I'm just trying to gauge people's interest in this idea.

Meh.

These lists aren’t so high-traffic that I feel a need to, but if it happens it won’t bother me.

Adam

* Re: [TUHS] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07 14:33 ` Tomasz Rola
From: Tomasz Rola @ 2020-07-07 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: COFF; +Cc: Grant Taylor via TUHS

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 08:11:43PM -0600, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> On 7/6/20 7:30 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> >People (not just Clem), when you change the topic, can you please
> >modify the Subject: to match?  I'm not overly interested in uucp,
> >but editors are a completely different matter.  I'm sure I'm not
> >the only one, so many interested parties will miss these replies.
>
> I see this type of change happen — in my not so humble opinion —
> /way/ /too/ /often/.
>
> So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and /
> or COFF mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could
> subscribe to the topics that they are interested in and not receive
> copies of topics they aren't interested in.
[...]
> I'm just trying to gauge people's interest in this idea.

I would not care. I would want to get everything, because one day my
interests could change (I might want to know what people said about
editors, for example :-) ) and who knows, maybe a list would be gone
already. I even archive the spam, just in case I want to do some big
data stuff on it one day. My yearly mailbox is on par with two cdroms,
so any savings would be rather minimal.

And boy, the more the better. Just think about those scripts to
process (hundred) thousands of mails. Displaying stuff on text
terminal. Green text terminal emulator. Better than norp, if you ask
me. Actually, this is norp.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola@bigfoot.com             **

* Re: [TUHS] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07 14:38 ` Alan D. Salewski
From: Alan D. Salewski @ 2020-07-07 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Unix Heritage Society; +Cc: COFF

On 2020-07-06 20:11:43, Grant Taylor via TUHS spake thus:
[...]
> So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and / or COFF
> mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could subscribe to the
> topics that they are interested in and not receive copies of topics they
> aren't interested in.
[...]

> To clarify, it would still be the same mailing list(s) as they exist today.
> They would just have the to be utilized option of picking interesting
> topics.  Where topics would be based on keywords in the message body.
>
> I'm just trying to gauge people's interest in this idea.

My preference would be to keep things the way they are.

I want to receive all list messages; I would not want to switch to an
arrangement where I was in danger of missing messages because my list
preferences config became a little stale.

-Al

a l a n   d.   s a l e w s k i                   salewski@att.net
1024D/FA2C3588 EDFA 195F EDF1 0933 1002  6396 7C92 5CB3 FA2C 3588

* Re: [TUHS] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07 15:26   ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2020-07-07 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Unix Heritage Society, COFF

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 10:39 AM Alan D. Salewski <salewski@att.net> wrote:

> I'm just trying to gauge people's interest in this idea.
>
> My preference would be to keep things the way they are.
>
> I want to receive all list messages; I would not want to switch to an
> arrangement where I was in danger of missing messages because my list
> preferences config became a little stale.

Very much +1.  Part of the trouble is that Gmail and similar clients don't
routinely show you the Subject: line to make it easy to edit it; you have
to take affirmative action when you want to change the subject matter.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
It's the old, old story.  Droid meets droid.  Droid becomes chameleon.
Droid loses chameleon, chameleon becomes blob, droid gets blob back
again.  It's a classic tale.  --Kryten, Red Dwarf

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF] Topics...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-07-07 22:53 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2020-07-07 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, Computer Old Farts Followers

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, Grant Taylor via COFF wrote:

> I see this type of change happen — in my not so humble opinion — /way/
> /too/ /often/.

It is the nature of unmoderated mailing lists that topics will drift over
time until someone jumps in to change the Subject: (and it really ought to
be a new thread) and hope that others will take the hint.

Yes, I'm just as guilty as others; then again, I've also changed the
subject when I realise my transgression.

> So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and / or
> COFF mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could
> subscribe to the topics that they are interested in and not receive
> copies of topics they aren't interested in.

They would then need to see what new topics come up from time to time...

> I'm assuming that TUHS and COFF are still on Mailman mailing lists and
> that Warren would be amicable to such.

I believe they are on Mailman, but I have little experience with running
it.

> To clarify, it would still be the same mailing list(s) as they exist
> today. They would just have the to be utilized option of picking
> interesting topics. Where topics would be based on keywords in the
> message body.

On one list I use, a predecessor of it used to require a subject tag in
the form [Blah] (taken from a set of known tags); I've always hated that,
but I'm still in the habit of putting my own tag there as a hint.

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07 23:23   ` Jacob Goense
From: Jacob Goense @ 2020-07-07 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2020-07-08 00:53, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On one list I use, a predecessor of it used to require a subject tag
> in the form [Blah] (taken from a set of known tags); I've always hated
> that, but I'm still in the habit of putting my own tag there as a
> hint.

When I have tuned out of a long running thread and the topic drifts
significantly I'm always grateful to the kind soul that tags..:

     Subject: Re: new [was: old]

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07 23:45     ` Michael Usher via TUHS
From: Michael Usher via TUHS @ 2020-07-07 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Goense; +Cc: TUHS main list

I usually edit it to say "Was (not Was)".

Hmmm.  Wouldn't it be great if we had a Markov chain subject generator that
sourced the actual email thread contents as its driver, and then when the
topic drifted far enough, it simply replaced the subject line with a new
creation ?

Ooohhh -- another idea -- RFC5322 states that subject may occur from 0 to 1
times per email.  Why don't we just delete the subject lines entirely?

Michael

(it's late.  I need to poke a bear)

--
Michael Usher
Senior Wireless Network Engineer

* Re: [TUHS] [COFF] Topics...
@ 2020-07-08  2:09     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2020-07-08  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, Computer Old Farts Followers

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020, Jacob Goense wrote:

> When I have tuned out of a long running thread and the topic drifts
> significantly I'm always grateful to the kind soul that tags..:
>
>    Subject: Re: new [was: old]

Yeah, I try and remember to do that...

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Topics...
@ 2020-07-08 13:06 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-07-08 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Preferring fewer emails, but not wanting to miss out on topics
that had not occurred to me, I would continue to subscribe
to the digest and not switch to a topic-filtering option.

Doug

* Re: [TUHS] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07 16:16 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2020-07-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

John Cowan:

  Very much +1.  Part of the trouble is that Gmail and similar clients don't
  routinely show you the Subject: line to make it easy to edit it; you have
  to take affirmative action when you want to change the subject matter.

====

Perhaps we should take a leaf from 1980s Rob Pike, and
just automatically change every message to be

Subject: The content of this message

(There is an actual story behind that, but I'll leave it
to Rob to tell.)

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON