On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 11:14 AM Theodore Ts'o wrote: I'm looking at you, > fcntl locking semantics, where a close of *any* file descriptor, even > a fd cloned via dup(2) or fork(2) will release the lock. > From BTSJ 57:6: > The file system maintains no locks visible to the user, nor is there any > restriction on the number of users who may have a file open for reading or > writing. Although it is possible for the contents of a file to become > scrambled when two users write on it simultaneously, in practice > difficulties do not arise. We take the view that locks are neither > necessary nor sufficient, in our environment, to prevent interference > between users of the same file. They are unnecessary because we are not > faced with large, single-file databases maintained by independent > processes. They are insufficient because locks in the ordinary sense, > whereby one user is prevented from writing on a file that another user is > reading, cannot prevent confusion when, for example, both users are editing > a file with an editor that makes a copy of the file being edited. > There are, however, sufficient internal interlocks to maintain the logical > consistency of the file system when two users engage simultaneously in > activities such as writing on the same file, creating files in the same > directory, or deleting each other’s open files. (end) John Cowan http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan cowan@ccil.org How they ever reached any conclusion at all is starkly unknowable to the human mind. --"Backstage Lensman", Randall Garrett