On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 3:19 PM wrote: Huh? I've never seen this, in over 20 years of using vim. To > insert a newline just use > > s/foobar/foo^V^Mbar/ > > where ^V^M are Control-V Control-M. > I never thought of that; I've always tried what works in ed, namely: s/foobar/foo\ bar and that gives me foo^@bar I call that a bug. (This is vim 8.1). It certainly wouldn't occur to me to use ^V^M, anyhow: ^V^J would seem more reasonable, but ^V is ignored in that context. Before vim 7 there was a bug so bad I had to use nvi (and, often enough, compile it from source): at that time, undo undid everything back to the last action in vi-mode. If you had never been in vi-mode (as I usually had not) it undid everything back to the last file-loading command! That one made me grind my teeth a lot. Even now I habitually write before undoing, just in case. John Cowan http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan cowan@ccil.org A male Jang appeared at my side. "Get a grip on yourself," he said. "Get a grip on your graks," I suggested. --Tanith Lee, Drinking Sapphire Wine