The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-27 11:54 jnc
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jnc @ 2020-11-27 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Steve Nickolas

    > there's no easy way to do preemptive multitasking without extra
    > hardware.

Perhaps you're using some idiosyncratic definition of "preemptive" and
"multitasking", but to me that statement's not accurate.

Let's take the "multitasking" part first: that just means 'two or more
computations can run at the same time, sharing the machine' - and that's not
hard to do, without special hardware, provided there's some way (in the
organization of the software) to save the state of one when the other is
running. Many simple systems do this; e.g. the MOS system that I used on
LSI-11's, BITD.

"Preemptive" is a bit trickier, because things have to be organized so that
one 'task' can be temporarily stopped arbitrarily (i.e. without it explicitly
giving up the processor, which is what e.g.MOS did) to let another run. There
does need to be some asynchronous way of inciting the second 'task' to run,
but interrupts (either clock, or device) do that, and pretty much every
machine has those. MINI-UNIX, for example, has premptive multitasking.

The thing that takes special hardware is _protecting_ one task from a bug in
another - a bug which could trash the first tasks's (or the system's!)
memory. One has to have memory management of some kind to do that.

    > From: Dave Horsfall

    > I would start with something like Mini-Unix

MINI-UNIX would be a good place to start if one wanted to bring up a system on
a machine without memory management; there's nothing in the kernel which is
PDP-11 dependent that I can think of (unlike V6, which had a fairly heavy
dependency on the PDP-11 memory management hardware - although one could of
course rip that all out, as MINI-UNIX did).

However, one's still looking at a fair amount of work, both to get rid of any
traces of PDP-11isms (e.g. stack growth direction), and translate the
assembler part (startup, and access to non-C operations). Something like FUZIX
might be an easier option.

       Noel

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-27 12:20 ` usotsuki
From: usotsuki @ 2020-11-27 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020, Noel Chiappa wrote:

>    > From: Steve Nickolas
>
>    > there's no easy way to do preemptive multitasking without extra
>    > hardware.
>
> Perhaps you're using some idiosyncratic definition of "preemptive" and
> "multitasking", but to me that statement's not accurate.
>
> Let's take the "multitasking" part first: that just means 'two or more
> computations can run at the same time, sharing the machine' - and that's not
> hard to do, without special hardware, provided there's some way (in the
> organization of the software) to save the state of one when the other is
> running. Many simple systems do this; e.g. the MOS system that I used on
> LSI-11's, BITD.

That's cooperative multitasking, though.  And there's actually a program
for the Apple //e that lets you do it from *BASIC*, "Extra.Apple" from
Beagle Bros (they did a ton of "enhancement" utilities like this).

> "Preemptive" is a bit trickier, because things have to be organized so that
> one 'task' can be temporarily stopped arbitrarily (i.e. without it explicitly
> giving up the processor, which is what e.g.MOS did) to let another run. There
> does need to be some asynchronous way of inciting the second 'task' to run,
> but interrupts (either clock, or device) do that, and pretty much every
> machine has those. MINI-UNIX, for example, has premptive multitasking.

You'd at least need interrupts, but a stock Apple //e literally doesn't
have any way to generate a hardware interrupt.

I do believe the //c (which has a built-in mouse controller which is
interrupt-driven) can be programmed to do that, but without something like
a 6522 card, a //e can't.  It's pretty primordial, really.

-uso.

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-27 16:22 ` cowan
From: cowan @ 2020-11-27 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 6:55 AM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

> The thing that takes special hardware is _protecting_ one task from a bug
> in
> another - a bug which could trash the first tasks's (or the system's!)
> memory. One has to have memory management of some kind to do that.

Actually, a modified version of the * approach will also work.  When
switching processes, swap the whole process out to your fastest device (on
* this was a single write to the drum) and swap in the new process.  *
hardware had a bounds register, so it was only necessary to swap out enough
of the previous process to fit the smaller process in.  So after a while,
core started to look like an onion, with the current process at the bottom
and pieces of larger non-current processes above that.

(I thought that * was MIT CTSS, but I can't confirm that.)

As for interrupts, the stock 2e has both IRQ and NMI lines. Erann Gat aka
Ron Garret explains in <
https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue9/030_1_THE_25C_APPLE_II_REAL_TIME_CLOCK.php>
how to make an external clock and hook it to the NMI pin for 25 cents in
1981 dollars (about $1.67 today; h/t measuringworth.com).

A mosquito cried out in his pain,
"A chemist has poisoned my brain!"
The cause of his sorrow / Was para-dichloro-
Diphenyltrichloroethane.                                (aka DDT)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-28 23:12 ` dave
From: dave @ 2020-11-28 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> > I would start with something like Mini-Unix
>
> MINI-UNIX would be a good place to start if one wanted to bring up a
> system on a machine without memory management; there's nothing in the
> kernel which is PDP-11 dependent that I can think of (unlike V6, which
> had a fairly heavy dependency on the PDP-11 memory management hardware -
> although one could of course rip that all out, as MINI-UNIX did).

Yeah, that's why I suggested it; I did play with it on one those PDT
thingies some decades ago (just to see if I could; the thing was on loan).

> However, one's still looking at a fair amount of work, both to get rid
> of any traces of PDP-11isms (e.g. stack growth direction), and translate
> the assembler part (startup, and access to non-C operations). Something
> like FUZIX might be an easier option.

Hadn't heard of FUZIX, but after looking at the web page then I concur;
I'll keep it in mind should I ever get a tiny machine :-)  I did have a
fine collections of Microbees (Aussie Z-80 box) once, but they're long
gone, along with enough bits to make an Applix 1616 (Aussie 68000 box).

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-12-03 18:40 ` Chris Hanson
From: Chris Hanson @ 2020-12-03 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: TUHS main list

The ads for Manx Aztec C for the Apple II described providing a UNIX-like programming environment. You might find that useful.

There’s a bunch of detail online here: http://www.aztecmuseum.ca/intro.htm <http://www.aztecmuseum.ca/intro.htm>

I think it may have even provided pipelines and such (albeit with sequential rather than simultaneous execution).

  -- Chris

* Re: [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-12-01 15:48   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2020-12-01 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 12/1/20 9:01 AM, Jose R. Valverde via TUHS wrote:
> Somewhat late to the discussion, but GeckOS may be another curious
> contender. You can find more information in http://6502.org
>
> http://www.6502.org/users/andre/index.html

Jose,

Nice find. I'm picking the machine up a week from Saturday! I figure
I'll give GeckOS a try and see about Mini-Unix, per other's suggestion,
as well. If I'm successful with the later, I'll share, but there's no
telling when / if :). I'm not yet adept at machine language
coding/decoding - but I'm getting there.

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF

* Re: [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
       [not found] <20201201160105.1359e68b.ref@algol>
@ 2020-12-01 15:01 ` Jose R. Valverde via TUHS
From: Jose R. Valverde via TUHS @ 2020-12-01 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Somewhat late to the discussion, but GeckOS may be another curious
contender. You can find more information in http://6502.org

http://www.6502.org/users/andre/index.html

		Scientific Computing Service
	   Centro Nacional de Biotecnología, CSIC.
		 c/Darwin, 3. 28049 Madrid
		    +34 91 585 45 05
		    +34 659 978 577

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-27  3:18   ` usotsuki
From: usotsuki @ 2020-11-27  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020, jason-tuhs at shalott.net wrote:

>> of any Unices that run on the machine, natively. Does anybody know of any
>> from back in the day?
>
> I don't think there are any for the 8-bit Apple IIs, but for the 16-bit Apple
> IIgs, there's GNO/ME unix: http://www.gno.org/gno/
>
> I actually ran this on my IIgs; it was cute, and quite usable considering the
> limitations of the hardware.  I don't know anything about its provenance,
> though.
>
> Anyone else run GNO/ME?  Anyone know if it was based on some previous source
> base or distribution?  Or know the folks behind it?

I know that a lot of the code bears the 4-clause BSD license.  So maybe
it's based on 4.4BSD, but with some parts rewritten?

-uso.

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-27  3:16   ` usotsuki
From: usotsuki @ 2020-11-27  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020, Clem Cole wrote:

> My favorite 8-bit processor, maybe my favorite all around.

Ditto.

<snip>

> Running a full UNIX on it was not really possible although a few of the
> Unix style utilities were moved to it and a number of simple monitors were
> written that swapped programs in and out DOS style.   At one time, I had a
> fairly good version of the Bourne (V7) syntax shell we got running, but it
> had to be swapped in and out slowly.  That is; you run the shell, type a
> command, when exec is done, the shell is tossed out and the new program
> installed in memory.

One would have better luck with the Apple IIgs except I don't think
there's a good free C compiler for 65816.  There's GNO which is very BSD,
but obviously cut back for the necessity of running on top of GS/OS (and
the shell is written in asm, it's not a true Bourne shell AFAIK).

-uso.

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-27  0:47   ` athornton
From: athornton @ 2020-11-27  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I too am a big 6502 fan.

XINU was a thing …. buuuuut it was written for a clone with weird bankswitching.  https://comp.sys.apple2.programmer.narkive.com/xN2z7e8K/fixing-xinu-for-apple-ii

As mentioned somewhere in this thread, Fusix might work or be workable with a little elbow grease but I haven’t tried it myself.  Doesn’t look like there’s a boot disk set for it.  https://github.com/EtchedPixels/FUZIX

I mean, it’s not going to feel like a modern Unix or even 211bsd if you get it working, but it might be comparable to a Mini-Unix or v6 on a small PDP-11.

Adam

@ 2020-11-27  0:24   ` drsalists
From: drsalists @ 2020-11-27  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

There was also Kix for the Atari 800 - also a 65*02 processor system.  It
felt a little bit *ixy, but wasn't really.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 2:31 PM Niklas Karlsson <nikke.karlsson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I seriously doubt there's a "real" Unix for such a small machine from that
> era. There may be workalikes, of course. I know of a Unix workalike for the
> Commodore 64 called LUnix, but it isn't really a full Unix. That's almost
> (almost!) the same CPU, at least.
>
> Best regards,
> Niklas
>
> Den tors 26 nov. 2020 kl 22:56 skrev Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> So, I'm about to get my very own Apple IIe and while it's an incredibly
>> versatile machine for assembly language and hardware hackery, I'm not aware
>> of any Unices that run on the machine, natively. Does anybody know of any
>> from back in the day?
>>
>> It's got a 65c02 processor and somewhere around 128k of RAM, but it's
>> also pretty expandable w/7 slots and a huge amount of literature about how
>> to do stuff w/those slots.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Will
>>
>> --
>> GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-11-26 23:22 ` jason-tuhs
From: jason-tuhs @ 2020-11-26 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So, I'm about to get my very own Apple IIe and while it's an incredibly
> versatile machine for assembly language and hardware hackery, I'm not
> aware of any Unices that run on the machine, natively. Does anybody know
> of any from back in the day?

I don't think there are any for the 8-bit Apple IIs, but for the 16-bit
Apple IIgs, there's GNO/ME unix: http://www.gno.org/gno/

I actually ran this on my IIgs; it was cute, and quite usable considering
the limitations of the hardware.  I don't know anything about its
provenance, though.

Anyone else run GNO/ME?  Anyone know if it was based on some previous
source base or distribution?  Or know the folks behind it?

  -Jason

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-26 23:07   ` katolaz
From: katolaz @ 2020-11-26 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 09:47:40AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2020, Will Senn wrote:
>
> > So, I'm about to get my very own Apple IIe and while it's an incredibly
> > versatile machine for assembly language and hardware hackery, I'm not
> > aware of any Unices that run on the machine, natively. Does anybody know
> > of any from back in the day?
>
> I'm not aware of any, but I would start with something like Mini-Unix (a
> really cut-down Unix).
>
> You'd have to do the assembler stuff yourself, of course.
>
> -- Dave

There is FUZIX by Alan Cox:

  https://www.fuzix.org
  https://github.com/EtchedPixels/FUZIX

which is a blend of V7+BSD userland plus a mix of different UZI
implementations from the '80s and a lot of new code. It runs on a
variety of "small" CPUs, including pdp-11, Z80/Z180/Z280, 8080, 8085,
8086, 6502, 6803, 6809, 68k, and a few dozens platforms.

There is some initial support for Apple IIe there.

I have used it myself on several retrobrew Z80/Z180 systems, but not on
an Apple IIe, so I can't tell it will work for sure. It's worth trying
it out though.

HTH

Enzo

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-11-26 23:00 ` clemc
From: clemc @ 2020-11-26 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 4:56 PM Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> So, I'm about to get my very own Apple IIe and while it's an incredibly
> versatile machine for assembly language and hardware hackery, I'm not aware
> of any Unices that run on the machine, natively. Does anybody know of any
> from back in the day?
>
> It's got a 65c02 processor and somewhere around 128k of RAM, but it's also
> pretty expandable w/7 slots and a huge amount of literature about how to do
> stuff w/those slots.

My favorite 8-bit processor, maybe my favorite all around.  So simple, one
accumulator and two index registers but it is only 64K of total address -
although with bank switching more memory could be added in 4K banks on a
number of Apple II's, but you have 16 address bits and worked a register
that switched in and out the 4K banks. and there is of course no protection
hardware nor the concept of user/kernel in the hardware.  The size of the
Apple Floppy disk was rather small, and your need 3 to run things like the
UCSD Pascal system to have any experience other than constantly switching
disks.

There are a number of C compilers available but with its limited and fixed
stack (8 bits only), so it is difficult to run programs of any size (in any
language - automatics are often managed off the stack).

Running a full UNIX on it was not really possible although a few of the
Unix style utilities were moved to it and a number of simple monitors were
written that swapped programs in and out DOS style.   At one time, I had a
fairly good version of the Bourne (V7) syntax shell we got running, but it
had to be swapped in and out slowly.  That is; you run the shell, type a
command, when exec is done, the shell is tossed out and the new program
installed in memory.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-26 22:47 ` dave
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: dave @ 2020-11-26 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020, Will Senn wrote:

> So, I'm about to get my very own Apple IIe and while it's an incredibly
> versatile machine for assembly language and hardware hackery, I'm not
> aware of any Unices that run on the machine, natively. Does anybody know
> of any from back in the day?

I'm not aware of any, but I would start with something like Mini-Unix (a
really cut-down Unix).

You'd have to do the assembler stuff yourself, of course.

-- Dave

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-26 22:30 ` nikke.karlsson
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: nikke.karlsson @ 2020-11-26 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I seriously doubt there's a "real" Unix for such a small machine from that
era. There may be workalikes, of course. I know of a Unix workalike for the
Commodore 64 called LUnix, but it isn't really a full Unix. That's almost
(almost!) the same CPU, at least.

Best regards,
Niklas

Den tors 26 nov. 2020 kl 22:56 skrev Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
>
> So, I'm about to get my very own Apple IIe and while it's an incredibly
> versatile machine for assembly language and hardware hackery, I'm not aware
> of any Unices that run on the machine, natively. Does anybody know of any
> from back in the day?
>
> It's got a 65c02 processor and somewhere around 128k of RAM, but it's also
> pretty expandable w/7 slots and a huge amount of literature about how to do
> stuff w/those slots.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will
>
> --
> GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-26 22:22 ` usotsuki
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: usotsuki @ 2020-11-26 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020, Will Senn wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> So, I'm about to get my very own Apple IIe and while it's an incredibly
> versatile machine for assembly language and hardware hackery, I'm not aware
> of any Unices that run on the machine, natively. Does anybody know of any
> from back in the day?
>
> It's got a 65c02 processor and somewhere around 128k of RAM, but it's also
> pretty expandable w/7 slots and a huge amount of literature about how to do
> stuff w/those slots.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Big problem is there's no easy way to do preemptive multitasking without
extra hardware.

The Apple //e and //c are basically the machine I cut my teeth on.

-uso.

* [TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?
@ 2020-11-26 21:55 will.senn
                   ` (5 more replies)