On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 7:15 PM Marshall Conover wrote: > I know a container I deploy will have > everything it needs wherever it goes, and will be exactly the thing I > built and tested. Up to a point, Minister. You can mount a scratch monkey, but you can't mount a scratch Internet or a scratch AWS or a scratch Google. > At one point the VM on > which we were running those agents went down, and our stop-gap fix was > to download and run a few copies of that container locally. > That's true if the container isn't too vulgar big. I can run $EMPLOYER's whole application on my laptop in the root environment, but running it in Docker is too costly even though that's how it's deployed on AWS. > from the adage "necessity is the mother of invention." People writing > business logic today are targeting an OS-independent platform: the > browser. Most actual business logic is still in the back end, at least at my part of the coal face. The browser is more of a programmable platform as time goes by, but it's still a Blit even if no longer just a 3270. > Management - > which in this case, means the world at large - demands new features, > not unspecified heisen-benefits from redoing things that already work. > There is a pressure toward that. But when $CLIENTS (who are a lot bigger than $EMPLOYER) start to complain about how often the application they are paying $$$$$$$ for falls over due to lack of robustness, things change. Not everything can be startup-grade.