On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 2:50 AM wrote: What I really like is how in V8 - V10 /dev/tty was a (sym)link to /dev/fd/3, and init simply did one more dup call. That eliminated the special tty device driver and was a lovely generalization / simplification. It's too bad this was never picked in the commercial Unixes or in Linux. That's problematic. I often need to redirect 2>&1 in order to get a stream of both output and error into a file or into less(1), without interfering with *input* from the terminal, as for example a password.