On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 3:40 PM Bakul Shah wrote: Along those lines, it's always been interesting to me the way that > Dijkstra's statement about goto must have influenced language design. The > original "GOTO Statement Considered Harmful" note was quite damning, but I > wonder if it meant to be: it strikes me that the really dangerous thing > about "goto" isn't its mere existence or even its use, but rather, it's > unconstrained use when better alternatives exist in the language. As one > can observe in well-written C code, judicious use of `goto` can be quite > elegant in comparison to the alternative. > D-1stra originally sent "Go to [...]" to CACM as a paper entitled "A Case Against The Go To Statement". But the editor, who was Niklaus Wirth, thought it important to publish it quickly, so he turned it into a letter to the editor and retitled it.