I fall back to ed or tr when I hit the bug in vim that prevents you from inserting a newline with the s command (it inserts a NUL instead). On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 9:59 AM Clem Cole wrote: > I always recommend doing the exercises in Rob and Brian's UPE on ed > because then everything else makes sense, like sed or any other editor. > Plus you get the advantage you point out, and the reality is that so many > simpler editors (like edlin) have similar functionality, it means you can > get something done, just about anywhere. > > On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 12:14 AM Dave Horsfall wrote: > >> On Sat, 4 Jul 2020, Adam Thornton wrote: >> >> > Since I find ed thoroughly unpleasant to use, having a screen editor >> was >> > a must for me to use v7 for any length of time, and s fills that role >> > rather nicely. >> >> A boss of mine insisted that we all learned "ed", because one day it >> might >> be the only editor available to you after a crash; he was right... >> >> -- Dave >> >