On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 1:02 AM Charles H. Sauer wrote: > A few experiences as SNOBOL/Icon enthusiast, not expert, ending with > limited tie back to Unix: > o Introduced to SNOBOL4 in introductory programming languages course > summer 1971 U.T. Austin > o ca 1976 used SNOBOL4 on VM/370 to build Fortran to PL/I translator "The > elapsed time between beginning work on the translator and getting a running > PL/I version of APLOMB was approximately two weeks, and this achievement > was a great relief to those who anticipated a much, much larger effort." > https://technologists.com/sauer/The_Evolution_of_the_Research_Queueing_Package.pdf > o ca 1985 (with minimal effort) modified/built Icon to run on PC/IX, began > emailing with Ralph Griswold > o Discovered IBM colleague Viktors Berstis and his SNOBOL > advocacy/expertise (http://berstis.com/) > o ca 1986 "With help from an ISC colleague, I created a PL.8 to C > translator using Icon, that was used to facilitate some of the rewriting. > [of the RT/PC VRM]" > https://notes.technologists.com/notes/2017/03/08/lets-start-at-the-very-beginning-801-romp-rtpc-aix-versions/ > > Let us not forget Icon , Ralph Griswold's own successor to Snobol. Well-structured, portable to Posix and Windows, "Prolog from another point of view" (the Icon implementation is very much like the WAM).