On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 8:20 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > I'm almost speechless. My progression was Basic, Pascal, C (and later > Fortran, Lisp, no Cobol, I did an Ada Compiler so Ada I guess). Then > on to awk, perl, tcl, I tried to like C++ but couldn't, tried to like > Rust, Go, D, and couldn't. > > If you think any of those other languages remotely approach the elegance > of C, I just don't know what to say. > Elegance? C? I think not. Lisp, _that's_ elegant. C is beautiful, you look at the code and you can see what the hardware > will be doing but it isn't assembler. Not really. You see what the hardware would be doing if it were a PDP-11. That's not the same thing at all.