On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 4:11 PM John Levine wrote: It appears that Clem Cole said: > >“The PL/C compiler had the unusual capability of never failing to compile > >> any program, through the use of extensive automatic correction of many > >> syntax errors and by converting any remaining syntax errors to output > >> statements.” > PL/C was a long time ago in the early 1970s. People used it on batch > systems whre you handed in your cards at the window, waited a while, > and later got your printout back. Or at advanced places, you could > run the cards through the reader yourself, then wait until the batch > ran. PL/C was a 3rd-generation autocorrection programming language. CORC was the 1962 version and CUPL was the 1966 version (same date as DWIM), neither of them based on PL/I. There is an implementation of both at < http://www.catb.org/~esr/cupl/>. The Wikipedia DWIM article also points to Magit, the Emacs git client. > > In that environment, the benefit from possibly guessing an error > correction right meant fewer trips to the card reader. In my youth I > did a fair amount of programming that way in WATFOR/WATFIV and Algol W > where we really tried to get the programs right since we wanted to > finish up and go home. > > When I was using interactive systems where you could fix one bug and > try again, over and over, it seemed like cheating. > > R's, > John >