On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 7:13 PM Jan Schaumann wrote: So I thought I'd ask here: who can (authoritatively) > shed light on how we ended up with Charlie Root? > I have no idea, but I remembered this, part of the message sent by an archive server when you send it an email saying "help": The archive server does not respond to requests from users named "root", "system", "daemon", or "mailer". This is to prevent mail loops. If your name is "Bruce Root" or "Joe Daemon", and you can document this, I will happily rewrite the server to remove this restriction. Yes, I know about Norman Mailer and Waverley Root. Norman doesn't use netmail and Waverley is dead. John Cowan http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan cowan@ccil.org The known is finite, the unknown infinite; intellectually we stand on an islet in the midst of an illimitable ocean of inexplicability. Our business in every generation is to reclaim a little more land, to add something to the extent and the solidity of our possessions. --Thomas Henry Huxley