The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
To: Ron Natalie <ron@ronnatalie.com>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] /usr/bin/1
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:56:21 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 10:49 AM Ron Natalie <ron@ronnatalie.com> wrote:

One Bell System.  It works.

I was told, though I didn't see this for myself, that in a post-1982
release it was changed to read "One Bell System.  It used to work."
Googling turns up "One Bell System.  It used to work before they installed
the Dimension."  (I don't know what that means.)

Every day I type "1" (or sometimes "0") to get to the top of the file in
`ex`.  (I know, of course, that `ed` is the standard editor, but I'm
willing to trade off a little standardosity for a little more helpfulness.)

As for flog(1), there is a boring modern command called that: it writes
stdin to a specified log file and rotates it on receiving SIGHUP.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
Yes, chili in the eye is bad, but so is your ear.  However, I would
suggest you wash your hands thoroughly before going to the toilet.
        --gadicath