On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 10:48 AM Clem Cole wrote: > I do believe that you are correct that both the sources (and associated > binaries) to original nroff/groff and ditroff were licensed and needed and > an AT&T license, but not the documents themselves. > I assume you mean s/groff/troff/. There must have been some public access to the documentation like this that allowed James Clark to develop groff in the 1987-91 time frame, though. It's still the *roff shipped with *BSD. dformat, a pic preprocessor by Jon Bentley that displays bits-in-a-word pictures, is now available at ; it's written in awk.