On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 1:27 PM G. Branden Robinson < g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote: An argument could be made for the word "replacement", but I've found it > useful to reserve that plain-spoken term for discussion of things a > human might do (perhaps in the course of editing a document or > developing a macro). To my ear, "interpolation" sounds fancy enough to > refer to something you let a machine do, without being _excessively_ > technical in tone. > Strictly speaking, what is interpolated is the _contents_ of the register, not the register itself. It never hurts to be too clear.