It would be interesting to know if the S.T. in P. programs will run on {GNU,Free} Pascal. On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 7:41 PM Will Senn wrote: > On 1/28/22 5:31 PM, Will Senn wrote: > > On 1/28/22 5:18 PM, Dan Cross wrote: > > On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 6:09 PM Will Senn wrote: > >> I'm reading in, Kernighan & Plauger's 1981 edition of Software Tools in >> Pascal and in the book, the author's mention Bill Joy's Pascal and Andy >> Tanenbaum's as being rock solid. So, a few related questions: >> >> 1. What edition of UNIX were they likely to be using? >> > > I'm afraid I can't speak to your 2nd and 3rd questions, but I can offer > what I think is a reasonable guess about the first. > > One of the neat things about Unix and Unix-adjacent books of that era is > that very often the copyright page held some information about the > production of the book itself. I just so happened to have a copy of, > "Software Tools in Pascal" sitting on my desk, and it says, "This books as > set in Times Roman and Courier by the authors, using a Mergenthaler > Linotron 202 phototypesetter driven by a PDP-11/70 running the Unix > operating system." > > Given the PDP-11 and the date (1981) one may reasonably conclude that it > was running 7th Edition. I imagine the pascal was Joy's, from Berkeley. > > - Dan C. > > Great hint. 20 seconds after I hit send on the original email, I came > across this: > http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-on-pascal.html > > Where Brian Kernighan talks about the challenges they faced porting the > ratfor examples into pascal. He explains that: > > The programs were first written in that dialect of Pascal supported by the > Pascal interpreter pi provided by the University of California at Berkeley. The > language is close to the nominal standard of Jensen and Wirth,(6 > ) with good > diagnostics and careful run-time checking. Since then, the programs have > also been run, unchanged except for new libraries of primitives, on four > other systems: an interpreter from the Free University of Amsterdam > (hereinafter referred to as VU, for Vrije Universiteit), a VAX version of > the Berkeley system (a true compiler), a compiler purveyed by Whitesmiths, > Ltd., and UCSD Pascal on a Z80. All but the last of these Pascal systems > are written in C. > > So, you were right about it being Joy's pi. > > Thanks, > > Will > > > On the good news front, I was able to find a working pi/px environment - > 4.2bsd built from tape on simulated vax780 works great (thank god vi works > there, too) and will run the programs in the book without mods, out of the > box. 4.3 would probably work similarly (I put it on the list). I tried > compiling the pascal distributed via 2bsd on v7, but wasn't able to get it > built (story of my life). This is prolly expected because the notes in the > distro say "This is still set up for version 6", so I'll stick with 4.2 for > the time being. Just glad to have a working environment to supplement the > reading. > > Will >