The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
To: Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] ACM Fellow, Ken Thompson
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 17:22:26 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:00 AM Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> Congratubloodylations, as we say down-under; it is well-deserved.
> Without Unix I'd probably still be supporting RSX-11 and VMS etc; their
> foray into Unix (Eunice) was doomed.

Whose foray?  Not DEC's.  Eunice was built at SRI and sold by the
Wollongong Group, who must have had Downundrian connections.  I was always
very happy with it, as I am with Cygwin today.  Ultrix, on the other hand,
was DEC's: a BSD with SysV hacks, as opposed to Solaris which was the other
way around.

The Dilbert strip probably explains why everyone who could, wore beards in
those days.  Just to prevent that mistake.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
Being understandable rather than obscurantist poses certain
risks, in that one's opinions are clear and therefore falsifiable
in the light of new data, but it has the advantage of encouraging
feedback from others.  --James A. Matisoff