I suppose this is teaching your grandmother(s) to suck eggs, but if you are not messing with the kernel or drivers, I find apout to be delightful. On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 9:04 AM Noel Chiappa wrote: > > From: Paul Riley > > > On my physical '03 I have twin Sykes floppy drives. I note that in > the > > LSX archives there is a Sykes driver, so I can adapt that I guess. > > Yes, here: > > https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=LSX/sys/sykfd.c > > It looks like it should be a straight drop-in, to run it on Mini-Unix. Not > sure if your controller is the exact same model, though? Is there any > documentation on yours? (I haven't done any searching.) > > If you want to boot from it, you'll need to write a bootstrap for it; I > poked > around, but didn't see one. (Not sure how they booted machines with one, > back > in the day; maybe it wasn't the only drive, and they booted off something > else.) You can probably modify the RX one: > > https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=LSX/src/rxboot.s > https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=LSX/src/rxboot2.s > > Note that this is a 2-stage bootstrap, apparently as a result of the small > hardware block size on the RX. > > And of course there's still the issue of 'how to get bits onto it'. Can > floppies for it be written on some other kind of machine? If so, someone on > the Classic Computers list: > > http://www.classiccmp.org/mailman/listinfo/cctalk > > may be able to help you write those, or an RL02 pack. > > > You should start by getting some experience building V6 OS loads (Mini-Unix > will be _very_ similar); use a simulator. I have a lengthy tutorial here: > > http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/tech/V6Unix.html > > It's in terms of Ersatz-11, which I prefer because it has that nice DOS > device, > which makes it easy to get files into the Unix (so I can use my normal > editor on > the host machine). However, I gather most people prefer SIMH; there is a > tutorial > here: > > https://gunkies.org/wiki/Running_Unix_v6_in_SIMH > > (I didn't write it; I know nothing of SIMH) for that option. > > How do people using SIMH get files into a Unix running on one? Larry Allen > just wrote a PDP-11 simulator in Rust, and he's thinking about adding a > paper-tape reader (connectable to a file), so that if he installs the stock > V6 PTR driver, he can just do 'cat /dev/ptr > myfile'; sort of like how > VM/370 used the virtual card reader. > > Noel > >