The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Unix v1/v2 cp command
@ 2014-07-14  0:16 Mark Longridge
From: Mark Longridge @ 2014-07-14  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> the cp command seems different from all other versions, I'm not sure I
>> understand it so I used the mv command instead which worked as expected.
>
> I'm intrigued; in what way is it different?

It seems that one must first cp a file to another file then do a mv to
actually put it into a different directory:

e.g. while in /usr/src

as ctr0.s
cp a.out ctr0.o
mv ctr0.o /usr/lib

...rather than trying to just "cp a.out /usr/lib/ctr0.o"

Mark

* [TUHS] Unix v1/v2 cp command
@ 2014-07-14  0:32 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2014-07-14  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014, Mark Longridge wrote:

> > I'm intrigued; in what way is it different?
>
> It seems that one must first cp a file to another file then do a mv to
> actually put it into a different directory:

That generally means that you don't have write permission on the file; I
assume that you checked for that?

-- Dave

* [TUHS] Unix v1/v2 cp command
@ 2014-07-16 18:14   ` Mark Longridge
From: Mark Longridge @ 2014-07-16 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/13/14, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014, Mark Longridge wrote:
>
>> > I'm intrigued; in what way is it different?
>>
>> It seems that one must first cp a file to another file then do a mv to
>> actually put it into a different directory:
>
> That generally means that you don't have write permission on the file; I
> assume that you checked for that?
>
> -- Dave

Hi Dave,

The version 1 manual actually mentions that:

A directory convention as used in mv should be adopted to cp.
ken, dmr

Also I was root when I used cp.

Mark