The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Henry Bent <henry.r.bent@gmail.com>
To: TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] Package Management
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 16:32:34 -0500	[thread overview]

Hello All,

I know I have asked this before, but I am curious about any new replies or
insight.  How did package management start?  Were sites keeping track of
packages installed in a flat file that you could grep (as god intended)
somewhere, or were upgrades and additions simply done without significant
announcement?  At what point did someone decide, 'Hey, we need to have a
central way to track additional software"?

I know of DEC's setld and SGI's inst in the latter half of the '80s.  What
was the mechanism before that?

-Henry