On Sat, 29 Jan 2022 at 16:49, Will Senn wrote: > I'm working through 4.3BSD setup and configuration and came across this: > > > "There is no equivalent service for network names yet. The full host and > network name databases are normally derived from a file retrieved from > Internet Network Information Center at SRI... use gettable to retrieve the > NIC host database and htable to convert it to the format used by the > libraries." > > > Does this mean I should expect functionality like resolv.conf and ping > yahoo.com not to work in 4.3, or by some miracle is gettable still a > functional system? > gettable uses flat files to map names to numbers. It hasn't existed in probably 30+ years, and I can't even imagine how large the files it creates would be for the modern internet. Amusingly, for some strange reason it still exists in Solaris 11.2: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E36784_01/html/E36871/gettable-1m.html -Henry