On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 at 16:06, Kurt H Maier wrote: > On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 03:49:58PM -0500, Henry Bent wrote: > > > > Has anyone definitely proven that any of the contents of these files are > > not in the searchable Google Groups interface? I don't really see any > need > > to duplicate their efforts. > > That data is essentially unavailable to people without Google accounts. > Why do you say that? I used a browser that was fully logged out of Google and in paranoid/private settings mode and I could browse newsgroups, do basic searching, etc. eg: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/net.unix-wizards/iris%7Csort:date > Even back when it was, the search had degraded to the point where you > could paste explicit quotes from messages and those messages would not > be in the results page. > I alluded to this sort of problem in my previous email, but in my recent experience the search results have been satisfactory and I consider the degraded search problem resolved. I have been able to search for very precise text strings with entirely satisfactory results over the last few months. -Henry