On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 20:33, Win Treese wrote: > > > On May 3, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Clem Cole wrote: > > > > Anyway back to compilers, Tru64 had a 'good enough' compiler based on > the MIPS code base to get us all going, but GEM's primary target was VMS > since one of the important features of GEM was the VAX->Alpha transpiler > technology. VMS was still heavily written in VAX Assembler at the time. > Plus, It actually was a little hairy because GEM had a new C/C++ > front-end. So TLE's high order bit was VMS for the Alphas. GEM for > Tru64 was about 18 months later. > > In the early days of Alpha, I was at DEC’s Cambridge Research Laboratory > (directed then by Vic Vyssotsky, having retired from Bell Labs). The lab > had various connections to Alpha projects, and we learned that there were > (I think) 7 different C compilers running on the early port of Ultrix. That > number, I think, did not include the port of gcc that DEC was funding > outside the company. > > Andy Payne, a recent hire at the lab, had been an intern in DEC’s > semiconductor group, where he had worked on randomized testing for hardware > verification. With all the compilers available, he decided to hack up a > program to generate random small C programs with computable expected > outputs. His program then compiled the random code with each compiler and > tested the result. After finding a number of bugs this way, he got tired of > submitting the bug reports, and changed his program to write and submit the > bug reports automatically. > > This caused a little bit of consternation with some of the compiler teams > at first. > > Eventually, this led to some collaboration with the DEC languages and > tools team, and Bill McKeeman published a paper that line of work in the > Digital Technical Journal in 1998[1]. > > - Win > > [1] https://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/dtj/vol10num1/vol10num1art9.pdf Does this software still exist anywhere? The link to the download is long gone, archive.org did not preserve the download, and I had no success finding the files on the web. -Henry