On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 at 18:10, Jon Steinhart wrote: > Humm writes: > > Quoth Jon Steinhart: > > >arnold@skeeve.com writes: > > >> Can someone please explain why it's called "random" logic? Discrete > > >> logic I understand (more or less), but I've not heard the term > "random" > > >> used in this context before now. > > > > > >Well, as a recovered random logic designer, I think that the name comes > > >from there being no particular structure to the logic. Many parts of > > >logic design are very regular, think memory. But that regularity > doesn't > > >exist when, for example, decoding irregular instructions. > > > > Now that’s a “random” definition. > > > > -- > > Humm > > OK, I'll try again. For anybody familiar with Portland, Oregon, it's the > difference between driving in Northwest where there's a rectangular grid > numbered in one direction and alphabetical in the other, and approaching > the Ross Island Bridge from the west side which appears to be designed by > someone following a goat while tripping their brains out. One can address > Northwest Portland quite easily unlike getting onto the Ross Island Bridge. > So - and as I say this as someone who has no direct experience with this level of logic - everything is directly addressable but the difference is in how you get there? -Henry