On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 at 16:52, Josh Good wrote: > > And that's it. The communications part only deals the Micnet (a serial-port > based local networking scheme), and UUCP. No mention at all of the words > "Internet" or "TCP/IP", no even in the Index. > Not a total surprise. In 1988, the average home user had probably barely even heard of the internet. Even business users were only concerned with on-site networking, and that was a fairly expensive proposition. > In truth, I fail to see what was the appeal of such a system, for mere > users, when in the same PC you could run rich DOS-based applications like > WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, Ventura Publisher and all the PC software from > those years. > Indeed, from the perspective of a home user you didn't really need an expensive UNIX box to do normal household chores. I was more than happy with a Visual 1050 running CP/M (and Wordstar, Multiplan, etc.) well into the late '80s. > I mean, mail without Internet is pretty useless, althouhg I understand it > could be useful for inter-company communications. And yes, it had vi and > the > Bourne Shell. But still, it feels very very limited, this Xenix version, > from a user's point of view. > Which might well explain why Xenix failed to gain much ground with normal folks at home. If you used a UNIX at work, sure, you might want to pay the money to have it at home. But why spend the $ for an operating system that didn't have widespread application development? > > I'm probably spoiled from Linux having repositories full of packaged free > software, where the user just has to worry about "which is the best of": > email program, text editor, browser, image manipulation program, video > player, etc. I understand this now pretty well, how spoiled are we these > days. > The proliferation of free software is practically unthinkable from the standpoint of a home user 30 years ago. -Henry