The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] revision history of troff -me macro set?
@ 2020-09-14 19:33 saint.snit
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: saint.snit @ 2020-09-14 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi,

Is there a repository of historical versions of Eric Allman's -me macro
set for troff?

(For some context: the macro set has been forked to operate with two
modern troff implementations: GNU groff and Heirloom troff.  According
to the header blocks of the respective files, groff's -me macros are
forked from version 2.31 of Allman's, and Heirloom's from version 2.14.
For help in debugging -me problems in these troff implementations,
I'm trying to locate at least these versions of the -me package as they
existed before forking.  I posted this query on the troff email list,
but no one there knew the answer, and one person suggested I ask here.)

Thanks for any pointers.

* Re: [TUHS] revision history of troff -me macro set?
@ 2020-09-14 20:02 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-09-14 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: saint.snit; +Cc: TUHS main list

There should be copies in 4BSD releases.

But it is also in the SCCS files as share/me/SCCS/s.tmac.orig_me and that
has what looks like a complete history.

Warner

@ 2020-09-14 20:08   ` Henry Bent
From: Henry Bent @ 2020-09-14 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: saint.snit, TUHS main list

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 at 16:04, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> There should be copies in 4BSD releases.
>
> But it is also in the SCCS files as share/me/SCCS/s.tmac.orig_me and that
> has what looks like a complete history.
>
> Warner
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2020, 1:46 PM <saint.snit@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a repository of historical versions of Eric Allman's -me macro
>> set for troff?
>>
>> (For some context: the macro set has been forked to operate with two
>> modern troff implementations: GNU groff and Heirloom troff.  According
>> to the header blocks of the respective files, groff's -me macros are
>> forked from version 2.31 of Allman's, and Heirloom's from version 2.14.
>> For help in debugging -me problems in these troff implementations,
>> I'm trying to locate at least these versions of the -me package as they
>> existed before forking.  I posted this query on the troff email list,
>> but no one there knew the answer, and one person suggested I ask here.)
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers.

Here's a link:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/csrg/share/me/tmac.orig_me?view=log

-Henry

* Re: [TUHS] revision history of troff -me macro set?
@ 2020-09-14 20:57 ` Eric Allman
From: Eric Allman @ 2020-09-14 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: saint.snit; +Cc: tuhs

I've got the SCCS files for tmac.e through 2.14 (12/28/1981).  I'm not
sure what happened to later versions.

eric

@ 2020-09-14 21:41 ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2020-09-14 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: saint.snit; +Cc: tuhs

> Is there a repository of historical versions of Eric Allman's -me macro
> set for troff?

Also see

https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=2BSD/doc/me
https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=2BSD/bin/lib/me
(especially revisions and tmac.e)
https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=2BSD/src/me
(again revisions and tmac.e)

And look at the SCCS "s.revisions" file

While it says "First Release: 11 Sept 1978" there is also a tmac.e
included and used by docs in 1BSD for exrefm.

* Re: [TUHS] revision history of troff -me macro set?
@ 2020-09-17  6:20 saint.snit
From: saint.snit @ 2020-09-17  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Thanks, everyone, for the very helpful replies.  Those links are exactly what I was looking for.